Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AK Questions: Sights and Stock Mods

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    I would not mess with your AK… It is what it is, a classic style AKM built by ARS…

It will never be a “modern” entry carbine, because the cost of converting, updating, and accessorizing it is far grater than it value would ever be… If you want a more modern AK, I really advise you just to purchase what you are looking for instead of trying to carve on this one…

Just my .02

B
    Thanks Buck. I'm not really wanting to carve on this one, just make it work better with slight alterations. The rear sight notch is far too narrow to be effective and quick with my 51 year old eyes. I don't think that widening the sight constitutes trying to modernize a classic battle rifle. On the contrary, the charm of this rifle is that taking a file to the sight notch to make it more practical in the field is in character with it's "rifle for the masses" history. I'm willing to bet more than one AK sight was user modified in the field to address my issue.

I promise not to carve the stock shorter until I've shot it in alll the positions to see what works best. It is shorter than most rifle stocks, but it still seems a tad long for my liking. That may change when I shoot it from the prone, where I may find the 12 3/4" LOP too short. I typically adust my AR stock one or two clicks longer for prone shooting. No option with the AKM.

I was figuring out a way to put a light on it, like this short rail attached to the lower HG I found on another site. But, you are right, this is not an entry gun and I will take your advice. No light. I'm resisting the temptation to throw my new T-1 on there, even though it would make for faster, better shooting based on my red dot experience. No optic either for this AK. Thanks.

Last edited by DWood; 11-28-08 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Natchez also had the Meprolight tritium night sight sets for the AK on sale a short time ago.
    They have a wider rear notch, and are also windage adjustable on the rear sights.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mseiferth View Post
    Mine is opened up to .140 in a V notch.
    Yeah it isn't hard to DIY if you have some rudimentary tools.

Of course, a lot of products wouldn't be on the market if most people had a DIY mentality with the proper tools and skills.

Feedback Score
    ************end of line
    Last edited by Toten Kopf; 01-14-09 at 06:14.

Feedback Score
    That's a beautiful rifle. I was going to get one but a gunstore in Phoenix apparently cleaned him out. The next day, they were on Gunsamerica for $1095.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DWood View Post
    Thanks Buck. I'm not really wanting to carve on this one, just make it work better with slight alterations. The rear sight notch is far too narrow to be effective and quick with my 51 year old eyes. I don't think that widening the sight constitutes trying to modernize a classic battle rifle. On the contrary, the charm of this rifle is that taking a file to the sight notch to make it more practical in the field is in character with it's "rifle for the masses" history. I'm willing to bet more than one AK sight was user modified in the field to address my issue.

I promise not to carve the stock shorter until I've shot it in alll the positions to see what works best. It is shorter than most rifle stocks, but it still seems a tad long for my liking. That may change when I shoot it from the prone, where I may find the 12 3/4" LOP too short. I typically adust my AR stock one or two clicks longer for prone shooting. No option with the AKM.

I was figuring out a way to put a light on it, like this short rail attached to the lower HG I found on another site. But, you are right, this is not an entry gun and I will take your advice. No light. I'm resisting the temptation to throw my new T-1 on there, even though it would make for faster, better shooting based on my red dot experience. No optic either for this AK. Thanks.

I would not dismiss these modern upgrades just because "it ain't right to mess with an AK"...

It depends (like everything else) on the intended purpose of the firearm. If it is going to be used in a primary role then why would you artificially limit it's capabilities?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123