View Poll Results: Which $300 Optic?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Holosun HS503CU (Circle dot, Shake Awake, etc)

5 83.33%
  • Strike Eagle 1-6 / PA 1-6 / other $300 LPVO (Please Post if "Other)

1 16.67%

Thread: Newbie needs help: Holosun HS503CU vs Strike Eagle 1-6 / PA 1-6 / other $300 LPVO

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Newbie needs help: Holosun HS503CU vs Strike Eagle 1-6 / PA 1-6 / other $300 LPVO

I have been saving up for a while and was all set to buy a Holosun HS503CU ($255) when I made the mistake of looking at some of the newer budget LPVs, such as the strike eagle 1-6, the primary arms 1-6 and a few others that currently sell for around $300. I've been around rifles for a while, but don't have much experience with optics.

The rifle this is going on is a budget 16" 5.56. My intended use is as a General Purpose Rifle/SHTF Rifle. I live in a hilly, heavily wooded, suburban area and I doubt I could ever get off a shot much more than 200 yards, much less that I will be justified in taking that shot. The rifle might be used as a backup for home defense (I prefer 9mm for inside the house). currently, the longest range I have access to is 100 yards. whatever optic I get, my priority will be quick shots of 100 yards or less. if I could also take longer shots, that would be a nice bonus. magnification would also be a big bonus for positively identifying threats. based on the ranges I would need it, I think 6x or even 4x would be the max I would need. I understand that neither of these choices are "Combat Proven" optics but the budget is what it is.

I have read lots of opinions saying that LPVs are the way of the future, that they are better than a red dot for my intended use. I'm not disputing that. I've also heard that when it comes to LPVs, you get what you pay for. so here's my question: is a $300 LPVO (not counting the cost of a budget mount) worth it over a $300 red dot?
    Last edited by bronconut109; 08-03-20 at 14:21.