Thread: Possible to install selector detent and spring while keeping the grip on?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Possible to install selector detent and spring while keeping the grip on?

I just received my new V Seven lower.
    The selector switch was not installed because the trigger was not installed yet.
    The grip is screwed in.

Is it possible to install the detent and spring for the selector with the grip screwed on?

The grip has a titanium screw that likely has thread locker on it and I don't want to mess it up.

The lower is still sealed and might stay that way for a while so I really can't judge if this will be possible.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Is there any particular reason you don't want to remove the grip screw? The correct thread locker is meant to be removable.

I've never ever bothered to try it, but I suppose it's theoretically possible depending on the selector barrel configuration. The first thing we'll need to determine is whether the detent is shorter than the diameter of the selector barrel. If so, you might be able to install the spring and detent from the selector hole. Then use a feeler gauge or knife to press in the detent and install the selector from the opposite side. You'll only get one shot because if you get the detent stuck on the wrong part of the selector barrel for whatever reason, it'll be impossible to remove without taking off the grip.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Detent holds non ambi selector in right?
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the detent pin's base slightly larger in diameter than the diameter of the cone shaped end that engages the selector channel? Also the detent pin hole is stepped down. IIRC, it's .152" at the grip end and .125" at the selector hole. When you insert the detent pin from the grip side, it won't pass all of the way through and come out at the selector hole. In which case you wouldn't be able to install the detent pin from the opposite side of the grip. I hope I painted a clearer picture.

ETA: You could call V Seven and find out if they used a threadlocker to begin with. Though that shouldn't deter you from removing the grip screw. V Seven must know that you have to remove it to assemble the selector parts.
    Last edited by 3 AE; 09-05-20 at 09:01.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The selector switch was not installed, or the switch, spring and detent were not installed?

You can install the selector without removing the grip if the spring and detent are installed.

IF V Seven installed a grip screw with threadlocker when there is no spring and detent, send the lower back to them with the selector you would like installed. I honestly doubt that is the case.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the detent pin's base slightly larger in diameter than the diameter of the cone shaped end that engages the selector channel?
    Yes it is, the selector detent pin cannot be installed from the top.

But it does mean the spring and detent can be installed without the selector and not fall out, so are you sure it's not already there?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    V Seven did not install the trigger- doing so would kick in certain taxes for selling a complete lower.

Without the trigger, the selector was not installed.

After all the help here I have a new plan:

I will carefully insert the proper allen wrench to remove the beautiful titanium screw from the grip.

I need to make sure the proper wrench is used to prevent stripping.

They recommend thread locker on this screw so I am sure they used it.

This will all be done when I get around to doing this lower.

In the mean time I am going to store it in it's sealed bag in my safe.

This V Seven lower with all the premium titanium parts really looks sweet.
    I knew it was going to be good but the fit and finish of this lower is exceptional.

Here is the spec for the screw:

MPN: TI GS

FEATURES:
    Constructed from Grade 5 Titanium
    Made in the U.S.A.
    SPECIFICATIONS:
    Material: Grade 5 Titanium
    Finish: Raw Titanium
    Weight: 0.11 oz.
    COMPATIBILITY:
    AR-15 and AR-10 pistol grip
    DETAILS:
    There are a lot of small details that can go overlooked when you’re working on a new build or doing upgrades on a favorite field rifle. One of those little parts that you don’t want to forget is the screw that secures your pistol grip. The V Seven Titanium AR Pistol Grip Screw is a secure choice for your build, whether it’s a trusted sidekick or the next new thing.

TITANIUM STRENGTH, SECURITY FOR THE LONG HAUL
    The V Seven Titanium AR Pistol Grip Screw is manufactured using Grade 5 titanium. While it weighs in at just 0.11 ounce, V Seven stands behind its strength with a lifetime warranty. This is a 1/4-28x3/4 UNF Button head pistol grip screw with a raw titanium finish. The inherent corrosion resistance of Titanium will keep the screw strong and secure once installed with no need for extra treatments or finishes. The V Seven Grip Screw installs easily with a 5/32 Allen wrench. This is not an extended grip screw and will require a long wrench for installation. To assure your installation is secure, use a quality oil-type lubricant or thread-lock preparation to seal the deal.

V SEVEN WEAPON SYSTEMS AND WING TACTICAL, TOGETHER WE GIVE YOU MORE
    Wing Tactical brings our customers an excellent selection of parts and accessories for a variety of small arms platforms, but they all have one very important thing in common: Each one is a great value to the consumer. While you might find these great parts and accessories elsewhere, Wing Tactical has teamed up with so many great manufacturers that it would be tough to find a comparable selection without sifting through a slushpile of not so great offerings elsewhere. Add the great value of Wing Tactical’s customer service professionals assistance every step of the way and you know there’s no better way to Give yourself an Edge than to buy your V Seven parts from Wing Tactical.

https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm...ol-grip-screw/

I'm going to buy this:

Extended screw driver.

https://www.amazon.com/Eklind-51610-...CV9VFHRFDT8RV9
    Last edited by Armadillo; 09-06-20 at 20:06.