Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7mm08

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalIntervention View Post
    The 7/08 is an excellent caliber. If you hand load you will certainly smoke the 308 for down range performance. BC on 7mm bullets is better than the 30 cal. Plus the 7mm bullet lands with a big thud on animals (Works well at stopping)

Now for tactical comp rifles I prefer the 260 because it does to 7/08 what 7/08 does to 308.

Now for true sniper rifles I use 308 because bbl life is longer and ammo of shelf is better
    Would you happen to know the difference between the barrel life of 7/08 and .308?
    I've heard .308 should last about 8K correct?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Just based on my beating up a bunch of bbls in comp and training over the years but here is what my average is in bbl life and still great shooting
    308 with 168-175 Factory Match 8000 rds Normal firing
    Same across course hard use 6000 rds
    308 with hot hand loads (Such as 155s at 2900fps) and Tactical Firing 6000 with hard use 5000 rds

7/08 with hand loads and tactical firing 5000 rds
    hard use 4000 rds

260 Hand Loads and tactical 4000 rds
    Hard use 3000 rds

Your mileage may vary

Feedback Score
    Last edited by RedMan*; 12-15-09 at 10:49.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Stu, you have been making some cool gear lately Lad

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Thank you for the advice.
    I thought about getting GAP to build me one.

Can you tell me at what range it would be ineffective on Game between 150-250lbs, shooting 140grain?
    What do you plan on doing with it? Hunting? or matches, or plinking

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badd Kharma View Post
    What do you plan on doing with it? Hunting? or matches, or plinking
    Maintaining my marksmanship skills. I'll probably hunt deer with it also if I ever become available during hunting season.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
    Yup. A 7mm-08 loaded with some "tough" bullets, such as the (in order of my personal preference) Barnes TSX, Nosler Accubond, Nosler E-Tip, Nosler Partition, Hornady InterBond, it will have enough penetration to stop any game on this continent... including elk and bear with proper shot placement and long, high B.C. bullets (the long, slender bullets is what makes the 7's such great penetrators, and have accounted for many elephants back in the day in Africa with rounds like the 7x57 and 6.5x55 Swede).
    I've taken 7x57 after moose, and there is nothing on this continent you couldn't hunt with it, but it is not a STOPPING cartridge by any means.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    I've taken 7x57 after moose, and there is nothing on this continent you couldn't hunt with it, but it is not a STOPPING cartridge by any means.
    Oh yes, of course lol, I'd never advise someone to take a 7x57 to Africa after large or dangerous game, I was just saying that there have been elephant taken (quite a few) with the 7 and 6.5 Swede... Personally, you'd never see me in Africa with anything less than a .375 H&H or .338-378 Wby.
    Was just letting the OP know why the 6.5 and 7mm rounds kill so efficiently. Skinny, long for caliber bullets offer tons of penetration, the longer the bullet, the deeper it'll penetrate (by standard means), but don't offer as much tissue disruption as larger caliber bullets do.
    To OP: for your stated purposes, marksmanship - I think you'd be best suited with a .260 Remington. It will be easier to find a "tactical" style rifle in .260 than 7mm-08, and the .260 will kill any animal that the 7 can. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Just to put my two cents in , I just bought my son Ruger 77 Hawkeye in this caliber for his first hunting rifle. Before I bought it I asked guys around my area and researched it on the net. From what I have heard and read I think that it is a very underrated cartridge. Ballistics apear to be very good. I purchased several boxes of Hornady 139 gr. SST's for him to shoot in it as well.
    " Honesta Mors, Turpi Vita Potior!"
    http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14120.png

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Just an FYI for anyone who might be intersted
    Rem 700 in 7mm08 for sale on TOS
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=93&t=609976

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast