Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need shotgun for keeping out of gun safe

Feedback Score

need shotgun for keeping out of gun safe

I'll be having a gun safe delivered next week. Depending on how you look at it, this can be both good and bad. It's good that all my guns will be secured. It's bad because they will be secured when I might need one quick.

I already own two shotguns, a Winchester Model 12 and a Browning Gold Classic Hunter. These will both be locked in the safe. I'd like to pick up a less expensive shotgun to keep in the closet for home defense. It needs to be short barreled and preferrably hold more than the standard 5 shells in the magazine. The shotgun plus either of my daily carry pistols should be just fine for home defense.

Sure, I'd love to pick up an 870 Police Magnum, but now we're talking about a shotgun that is valuable enough that it too should probably be locked up. Any suggestions for a shotgun that would fulfill my needs? Are the Charles Daly Field Tactical shotguns any good? They certainly fill the bill for inexpensive, but they only hold 5 shells in the magazine. Obviously I want/need something reliable. I'd also probably use it for 3-gun matches.
    Last edited by royta; 12-07-08 at 00:24.

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Deleted.
    Last edited by NoBody; 05-04-09 at 06:13.

Feedback Score
    Get the 870 of your dreams. Have it handy while you're at home, lock it up or take it with you while you're gone.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)

Thumbs up

Exactly how I do it when I am home. Otherwise when I am away the wife has her Glock readily available and she knows how to access the safe. Then an AR would come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Goodwin View Post
    Get the 870 of your dreams. Have it handy while you're at home, lock it up or take it with you while you're gone.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I made the mistake of leaving an 870 outside the safe. It was the one gun that was stolen from me when my house was burglarized.

Something that had never entered my mind until this happened...

Someone breaks in. They're in your bedroom/closet/gun room/whatever looking for anything and everything. They find your shotgun. Your arrive home and, because they entered through the rear, you have no idea they are there. You surprise them and they are now armed with the shotgun you left out.

What do you think happens next?

This scenario is not far fetched, and is almost what happened to me. Fortunately they had a way out through the back door and left rather than deciding to stay and fight, and they had made enough of a mess in the living room (muddy footprints on light tile) that I knew something was amiss.

I am a fan of having a ready gun, but I think that a pistol, with a light, in a lockbox is a better solution for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by royta View Post
    ... Are the Charles Daly Field Tactical shotguns any good? They certainly fill the bill for inexpensive, but they only hold 5 shells in the magazine. Obviously I want/need something reliable. I'd also probably use it for 3-gun matches.
    Here's a pic of our new pistol grip Tactical model that will be shown at the SHOT Show next month with deliveries starting in late January.

Tactical Pump with Ghost Ring sights and picatinny top rail

It's still only a 5 shot but affordable, reliable and comes with our Lifetime Repair Policy.

ETA: MSRP $399.00 = "Real World Retail" approx $349-$379
    Last edited by Charles Daly; 12-07-08 at 19:32. Reason: add MSRP
    Michael Kassnar
    President, K.B.I., Inc.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    thanks charles now i'll have to explain that to the wife. you know you manufactorers should stop making things i like to spend my money on
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt
    I carry a gun cuz cops are too heavy!

Feedback Score
    FWIW, there were Model 870 Express 18" Synthetic 7-Rounders at this weekend's gun show for ~$320.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ound_specs.asp
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    Here's the standard Tactical model that royta initially inquired about. MSRP $249.00

And here's a similar one one in industrial hard crome, with upgraded adjustable rifle sights, MSRP $269.00

It's only when you add a pistol grip buttstock, ghost ring sights and a picatinny rail, as shown in my earlier post, that our price goes over the standard 870.

(Sorry about the pics with captions. I had to take these directly from our web site and the pic caption for the AW says Nickel plated, but that is wrong and will be corrected on our website tomorrow. It is chrome.)
    Last edited by Charles Daly; 12-07-08 at 22:23. Reason: Pic caption correction
    Michael Kassnar
    President, K.B.I., Inc.

Feedback Score
    One last pic (of poor quality). I do apologize if this is appears as a threadjack but I though it would assist royta in his quest.

This is our new Tactical Breeching interchangeable choke tube. It is supplied with the new pistol grip tactical pump package, but only the gun with the ghost ring sights and the picatinny rail. It can be purchased from us as a separate choke tube and fits all of our pump and semi-auto multi-choke barrels (which BTW are threaded for RemChoke).

Michael Kassnar
    President, K.B.I., Inc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast