Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.P.O.T. on Ultimak?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

S.P.O.T. on Ultimak?

Just a quick question, so I've got my Saiga AK-101 and a S.P.O.T. just laying around doing nothing. I was thinking of picking up a Springfield ring and an Ultimak and getting it set-up on my AK. My one concern is the heat. I know EOTechs will melt when mounted on the Ultimac, but what about a S.P.O.T. scope? I would love to run a RDS on my AK, and while I'd like a T-1 one day for my AK I need to save/run something else in the mean time.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    EoTechs will melt? Where did you hear that?

The SPOT may run for a while but I suspect heat will quickly kill it.

Feedback Score
    As in Superior Precision Optical Technology's S.P.O.T Scope?
    Last edited by zippygaloo; 11-10-08 at 23:16.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    SPOT is garbage., Try it and see though, since I assume you're not using it in a "storm the beaches" capacity.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    SPOT is garbage., Try it and see though, since I assume you're not using it in a "storm the beaches" capacity.
    Rob it's good to see you back! You hit the point exactly. Yes I am fully aware that compared to an Aimpoint a SPOT is trash, I spent enough time with my M68 in Iraq to appreciate the finer points of a premium RDS. This is why the ACOG on my LMT is being replaced with a T1. However in the capacity which I would like to start using it I think it will work. I would like to start getting my AK into a more serious use capacity, however I just don't have the funds for another T1 (or H1) at the moment. I would like to start running drills with my AK with a RDS. No I won't be doing any dynamic entries with it, or using it in a serious role to defend myself or my loved ones, but I would like to start training with one and see how it goes.

The_Katar, I suppose I should have worded the EOTech thing differently. I believe they have been proven not to hold up well to the thermal loading which they are subjected to when mounted on an Ultimak. Not only that, but after the numerous failures which I witnessed first hand in Iraq I would never use one in a serious role.

ETA: Wow, I really need to limit my posting while under the influence of Percoset.
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 11-11-08 at 16:16.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Good to be back.

In that case I say go for it. The worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work out and you chalk it up to lessons learned.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    The_Katar, I suppose I should have worded the EOTech thing differently. I believe they have been proven not to hold up well to the thermal loading which they are subjected to when mounted on an Ultimak. Not only that, but after the numerous failures which I witnessed first hand in Iraq I would never use one in a serious role.
    Much better.

Feedback Score
    Guys:

I've been running SPOTs on several guns as "Aimpoint simulators" for a few years now, and have found them to be a good value for the money in a "budget" optic.

No, they don't offer the battery life or durability of an Aimpoint, but they are worlds better than the el-cheapo Chicom stuff out there (airsoft Aimpoint clones, NcStar/Leapers, Tasco, BSA, etc), and certainly rate better than "garbage". Firsthand "testing" (i.e. accidentally leaving the sight on for measurable periods of time) has shown the battery life to be around 600 hours on the lower brightness settings, which surprised me.

My most-used SPOT rides on the Ultimak gas tube rail of my AK-105 SBR. The gun has had several thousand rounds through it in this configuration, 1170 of which were fired during an EAG Tactical 3-day course in 2007. I have had NO problems, heat-related or otherwise, with this optic/mount combination.

I also have SPOTs on my 9mm AR SBR, and my M-11/9 SMG. No problems there, either, except that the screw on the OEM mount tends to back out after awhile, no matter how tightly it is locked down. An Aimpoint low ring or ratchet mount solves that pretty inexpensively, or you can just witness mark the screw and check it periodically.

My $.02.
    Last edited by shooter521; 11-12-08 at 11:01.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter521 View Post
    Guys:

I've been running SPOTs on several guns as "Aimpoint simulators" for a few years now, and have found them to be a good value for the money in a "budget" optic.

No, they don't offer the battery life or durability of an Aimpoint, but they are worlds better than the el-cheapo Chicom stuff out there (airsoft Aimpoint clones, NcStar/Leapers, Tasco, BSA, etc), and certainly rate better than "garbage". Firsthand "testing" (i.e. accidentally leaving the sight on for measurable periods of time) has shown the battery life to be around 600 hours on the lower brightness settings, which surprised me.

My most-used SPOT rides on the Ultimak gas tube rail of my AK-105 SBR. The gun has had several thousand rounds through it in this configuration, 1170 of which were fired during an EAG Tactical 3-day course in 2007. I have had NO problems, heat-related or otherwise, with this optic/mount combination.

I also have SPOTs on my 9mm AR SBR, and my M-11/9 SMG. No problems there, either, except that the screw on the OEM mount tends to back out after awhile, no matter how tightly it is locked down. An Aimpoint low ring or ratchet mount solves that pretty inexpensively, or you can just witness mark the screw and check it periodically.

My $.02.
    Wow! OK, Ultimak order going in right now

ETA: where is the best place to buy from? Ultimak themselves?
    Last edited by decodeddiesel; 11-12-08 at 11:15.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I got mine from Brownells. Best price around if you qualify for the discount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast