Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the M1a, what are some must haves?

Feedback Score

New to the M1a, what are some must haves?

I just purchased a Springer M1a standard in the synthetic stock. Im curious as to what are the best "must haves" for this platform? I mean must haves as everything from the Sadlak or Badger Ord. one piece NM style spring guide to the extended tactical bolt stop/release. Im interested in what makes them run better and of course what makes them look better.

About the only plans for it right now is to find a scout rail and a light mount. Id appreciate any info or feedback. Thank you.
    -Jesse
    Last edited by JWNathan; 11-25-08 at 23:15.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWNathan View Post
    Im curious as to what are the best "must haves" for this platform?

To start magazines and a metric ton of ammo. Shoot it for a while and then decide what you need based on what you anticipate using it to do.
    Just my $.02 which is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    Check for the ammo, mags on the other hand.......I have a few mags but gettin any more (other than 10 rounders) isnt goin to happen anytime real soon, f#ckin California! Id just like to know what can one do to make it more reliable/keep it reliable. Thanks!
    -Jesse

Feedback Score
    GI parts...

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    GI parts...

Detail strip and clean the rifle real, real well. Make sure the bore is polished smooth. Grease the action and shoot it as is.

If any of the reproduction parts give you problems... replace them with USGI parts.

You may want to look at Smith Enterprise, Inc. for future upgrade parts.
    Last edited by H2O MAN; 11-26-08 at 08:03.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'd strongly advise against any polishing of the bore without bore scoping it or having your gunsmith look at it. Polishing a bore when done the way most gun boards advise it can wear the hell out of it (see McMillan's writeup on the subject). Use chemical cleaners such as Sweet's and Montana Copper Killer (my favorite).

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

M14 Must-Haves

M14 gas system wrench and reamer. Chamber brush and ratchet. Rod guide to fit over flash suppressor.

Feedback Score

Exclamation

Springfield Armory Inc. is known to ship rifles with rough bores.
    Polishing the bore on an M1A is strongly recommended if you want it to function reliably.

Don't over do it, just make sure it's smooth. Having an M14 armorer look it over is an excellent suggestion.
    Last edited by H2O MAN; 11-26-08 at 08:37.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I know what you're saying H20Man but I strongly advise any abrasive polishing be done only as a last resort. Unless the rifle just plain won't shoot and you've pinpointed the cause as the rough bore, don't do it. Savages are known both for their rough bore and factory sub MOA accuracy. Rough bores usually just foul up worse but their accuracy doesn't suffer unless you never clean them.

Feedback Score
    IMHO the Smith extended bolt release is mandatory. It makes mag changes more like the AR (rock the mag back in (which is not like the AR) but then you slap the side of the receiver with your weak hand to close the bolt rather than having to switch hands and pull the op rod back)

Also a spare extractor or two. POSSIBLY get a bolt disassembly tool also to help.

If you decide to scope it do not go with ARMS for the mount - I broke one of their screws earlier this year putting one of their receiver mounts on. They sent me a new screw but now that I know how good Smith receiver mounts are, feh.

I know will not have to deal with that from Smith.

Peruse Fultonarmory.com. They have a very good selection.
    Last edited by macman37; 11-26-08 at 09:44.
    Keep your powder dry.

M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I am a tactical marketing professional. PM for details.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast