Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why SBR?

Feedback Score

Why SBR?

What is it about SBRs that make them so desirable? Is it agility? Concealability? Reduced overall length when used with a suppressor? Or is it just something people like?

Don't misunderstand me - this isn't a "why would anyone need those evil weapons" post. I'm just curious to hear from those who would know about what advantages SBRs have that make them worth the extra $200 + administrative hassle. I don't really even understand what the rationale is for their being NFA restricted.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Chicks dig em!

Really though, for me it's some of all you mentioned. It's handy, light, manuverable, shorter OAL with suppressor (when I get one), etc.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Although I do have a 10 inch gun, I do think a large part of the attraction of the SBR is its relative exclusivity. I think a high capacity pistol or submachinegun is better in many of the situations where a super short gun comes into its own.

I had a conversation with Ken Hackathorn about this, and he said he thought that the reason SBRs, specifically the M4 had become so popular in police usage was because of "superbowl syndrome." He said if the superbowl team uses a certain type of equipment, every high school player wants it--and often times it isn't appropriate. He said submachineguns, although out of fashion, were far underrated these days because of that syndrome.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have 2 SBRs (11.5") that I don't even shoot. Like I've posted before, I don't regret registering them, but I don't find them very enjoyable or practical. Maybe some day my short barrel lust will come on strong. But I'm not into robbing my cartridges of velocity just to get a few inches off the end of my barrel.

I find the gun I'm constantly drawn to is the 14.5" (which is legally an SBR without a perm job). It gives me the ability to hit out to 400 yards, yet it's still a good CQB type weapon. It's the best balanced to me, and I just tend to grab for it when I want to enjoy carbean shooting, hiking, training, practice, silencer, whatever. It does everything for me.

When you have a selection of ARs, you know which one you're comfortable with when you have one you always go to.
    Last edited by markm; 12-12-08 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Less gun to clean.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsabjg View Post
    Less gun to clean.
    Wise ass!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I original had 16" guns, and used them during a few Pat Rogers classes. I handled an SBR during those classes and found it more manuverable, lighter, and faster to transition.

Then I decided to use suppressors, and the short barrels made OAL equivalent to a 16" gun, but with a great side benefit of having it much quieter.

My reason for SBR's is to get the same overall length, but with the added benefit of suppression.

You might have other reasons...as will others.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Everyone who can register an SBR should do at least one.

Feedback Score
    All I can say is shoot one. Once I got mine, the others have just sat in the closet. I bring them to the range, never seem to get them out of the trunk.
    I have a plain jane 10.5" LMT with ACE socom(shorty) stock, and it is so lightweight and maneuverable.
    Oh yea, did I mention all those haters at the range? I had a guy pry about whether I had a tax stamp or not, and when I told him I did, he said if I didn't he would call somebody or something. Funny.
    Just my personal opinion, but they are well worth the 200 stamp.

Feedback Score
    They are easy to shoot and carry, and they hit things just as well, if not as hard.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast