Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why SBR?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibbs View Post
    All I can say is shoot one. Once I got mine, the others have just sat in the closet.
    I'm the opposite. My SBRs almost never get fired.

Oh yea, did I mention all those haters at the range? I had a guy pry about whether I had a tax stamp or not, and when I told him I did, he said if I didn't he would call somebody or something.
    I would have said about the stamp.... "What's that?" There's some real ****tards in the gun seen. Self appointed patrolmen of the range and forums and such. I'm not sure what the mental disorder is, but it makes them stick their noses into other guys' business. ****tarditis I guess it would be called.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    There's some real ****tards in the gun seen. Self appointed patrolmen of the range and forums and such. I'm not sure what the mental disorder is, but it makes them stick their noses into other guys' business.
    Yep, I really hate the know-nothings, who want to quote code to you, but they screw it all up.

"You know you have to have a $500 tax license for that thing??"

I suspect they are bucking for their junior G-man badge or something. Wish they would mind their own business.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    Yep, I really hate the know-nothings, who want to quote code to you, but they screw it all up.

"You know you have to have a $500 tax license for that thing??"
    Probable translation: "I can't afford/qualify for one of those, so I'm going to gripe at and disparage you. You may have an SBR, but I still have a bigger penis. So there."

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    bgibbs,

Yeah, I HATE those guys. I always think to myself, "are you the BATF? If not, please go away Mr. Little wee." I the future I am going to just look at them with my best "Anton Chigur" impression and ask them pick heads or tails. Just kidding!
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by faithmyeyes View Post
    What is it about SBRs that make them so desirable? Is it agility? Concealability? Reduced overall length when used with a suppressor? Or is it just something people like?

Don't misunderstand me - this isn't a "why would anyone need those evil weapons" post. I'm just curious to hear from those who would know about what advantages SBRs have that make them worth the extra $200 + administrative hassle. I don't really even understand what the rationale is for their being NFA restricted.

1- Lighter and more manuveurable, especially in tight urban environments. (Also might I add easier to place at the ready & deploy in a patrol car.) Clearing a house is much easier with the appropriate tool.

2-(Been said already) Ability to add a suppressor without creating a sniper length rifle.

3- If you are a civilian and there is no state law against it, it is your right. Use your rights or loose them.

4- I know the velocity thing has been brought up but in most environments, especially urban or suburban, a shot over 100 yards is almost unheard of. Unless you are a special response team sniper.

And if you are a civilian taking a shot like that, well you better have your ass covered because in most circumstances you are just asking for a state sponsored vacation with a cellmate named Jo-Jo. Practically, even a shot at 100 yards is a bit of a stretch.

Cons-

You had better be able to keep up with your paperwork. Keep the stamp form secure and make plenty of copies and keep them every where with your SBR. I have multiple copies in my gun cases and every vehicle and my original is in a locked fireproof concrete lined safe.

If you are going to travel out of state file the appropriate paperwork a head of time and make sure they are not illegal in the state you are traveling to will. They are more responsibility for sure, but they are also a hell of a lot of fun & have practical advantages.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmax View Post
    If you are going to travel out of state file the appropriate paperwork a head of time and make sure they are not illegal in the state you are traveling to will. They are more responsibility for sure, but they are also a hell of a lot of fun & have practical advantages.
    I wasn't aware there was any paperwork for leaving the state

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    I wasn't aware there was any paperwork for leaving the state
    Yes, you do when you leave your state of residence. An individual must get permission from ATF to move machine guns, short rifles,short shotguns or destructive devices between states (or to
    temporarily export them) before doing so. This includes taking them somewhere to shoot them, or when permanently changing
    residences.

To do this you fill out form 5320.20, and ATF will always approve them, and fairly quickly, assuming the purpose (generally stated) for the movement is legitimate, and the destination state
    allows the weapon in question. I did one for a training class last summer and it took about 3 weeks.

And if you are caught out of state without a approved 5320.20, it is a big deal. I always tell people that if they want to get a nfa weapon just be sure they do their research and know the law as it pertains to them. Cases where I can't travel with it are why I have a 16" Colt and eventually a Noveske.
    Last edited by Sigmax; 12-14-08 at 09:44.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree with Greg - Superbowl Factor is a big part of it.

That said, for a civi that relies on an AR for an HD gun they are perfect.

As for the $500 license and Jr. G Man - if you turn them in - you get to keep the weapon don't you?

Good luck

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Why an SBR? Because they are cool and I still can. When someone told me about SBRs I personally saw no point in it. But then I decided to give it a try and liked it so much, I now have two SBRs.

I actually shoot mine a lot. I have almost 7,000 rounds through my LWRQ piston upper (bought Feb 2008) and more than 3,000 rounds through my LMT upper (bought Jan 2007). Both have 10.5-inch barrels.

All I can say is don't knock it until you've tried it!!
    Last edited by CarlosDJackal; 12-15-08 at 10:39.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmax View Post
    Yes, you do when you leave your state of residence. An individual must get permission from ATF to move machine guns, short rifles,short shotguns or destructive devices between states (or to
    temporarily export them) before doing so. This includes taking them somewhere to shoot them, or when permanently changing
    residences.

To do this you fill out form 5320.20, and ATF will always approve them, and fairly quickly, assuming the purpose (generally stated) for the movement is legitimate, and the destination state
    allows the weapon in question. I did one for a training class last summer and it took about 3 weeks.

And if you are caught out of state without a approved 5320.20, it is a big deal. I always tell people that if they want to get a nfa weapon just be sure they do their research and know the law as it pertains to them. Cases where I can't travel with it are why I have a 16" Colt and eventually a Noveske.
    If your going to be traveling to the same destination regularly you can fill the 5320.20 out for an extended date range. I think the max is a year, so fill one out for less than 12 months and you have a permission slip that will last for more than one trip.

And like others have said, owning an SBR is fun and your right (if your state allows it).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast