Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Default Review: Gem-tech HALO 5.56mm Suppressor

Feedback Score

Default Review: Gem-tech HALO 5.56mm Suppressor

Last week, On Point Firearms took delivery of our first shipment of Gem-tech suppressors. Among them were a couple of HALOs in 5.56mm NATO. HALO stands for High Activity (let's go cyclic!) Low Observable (hey, where the heck is that fire coming from!?) The HALO is designed to quickly attach to any weapon employing a standard A2 birdcage flashhider. So, you can use a single suppressor on multiple weapons (M16/M4/HK416/M249) without expensive proprietary muzzle adapters for each application. It's a good cost effective solution for guys with a lot of ARs.

The HALO is easy to attach. First, make sure your A2 birdcage isn't mounted with a troublesome crush washer, as these have a tendency to cant the flash hider. This is important, since a misalignment between the bore and the silencer could deliver a costly strike to the inner baffles of the can. Therefore, the HALO ships from Gem-tech with a concentric washer to replace your crush washer. Luckily, I was mounting the suppressor on an LWRC M6A2. No crush washer to worry about, so I was ready to rock. After slipping the adapter collar over the flash hider, slide the can over the birdcage and screw the adapter onto the threads. It's a 30 second operation. Make sure it's on nice and tight! I'll explain the importance of that later.

After install, I could definitely tell the suppressor added some extra weight. This had an adverse effect on the rifle's balance, but moving your support hand position forward helps you regain control. The HALO also adds about 7 inches to the overall length of your rifle, so an SBR application would be ideal if you want to maintain your CQB profile.

Now, let's get down to the meat and potatoes/biscuits and gravy. How does the HALO sound? How does it shoot? The answer to both questions is... GREAT!

Before installing the HALO, I fired a 3 round group at 50yds to verify my zero. After install, there was no change in the bullet's point of impact! That's a big plus in my book, since many suppressors on the market have a tendency to shift a bullet's POI. The HALO doesn't, so you can be confident that your rounds are going to land where they're supposed to-- whether or not you're running suppressed.

We all know what the report of an AR15 sounds like. It's loud-- about 140dB. Gem-tech says the HALO reduces the sound signature by about 32dB, which gets it down to 108dB-- just above the threshold that causes hearing damage. So, it's not hearing safe-- but darn close. I took off my muffs when the ROs weren't looking (which is suprisingly often) and fired 5 rounds into the target. The 5.56mm NATO round is never going to be subsonic, so I could still hear the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. The closest thing I could compare the noise to would be a high powered air rifle. You know, the 1000fps flavor that has been thinning out squirrel numbers for years! You definitely wouldn't recognize it as a gun shot-- especially from a distance. And the flash is completely absorbed in the can. However, I'd like to do a night fire exercise soon to see what kind of flash, if any, remains.

After a few rounds, the HALO really starts to heat up. Absorbing those hot gases causes the body of the silencer to heat up 7 degrees per shot, according to the HALO field manual. I found that the suppressor was too hot to handle (too cold to hold?) after only 10-15 rounds. I also found that the unit would gradually begin to unscrew after 5 rounds! So, I had to put on a pair of Blackhawk gloves and tighten it down after every volley of shots. Heck, the last thing I wanted was a loose and misaligned silencer causing a heartbreaking baffle strike. So, be mindful. If and when a strike occurs, the damage will be horrific, and you can kiss your investment and $200 tax stamp bye bye. No government bailouts here, my friends. Just cold buckets of "reality water."

Speaking of water... the manual states clearly that the HALO cannot be ran "wet". In fact, HALO has a bitter distain for water. In a pinch, you can submerge it underwater to speed up the cooling process, but HALO won't like you for it. After the interior comes in contact with water, you must immediately soak the entire unit in diesel fuel, CLP, WD40, or some other nemesis of water. HALO hates water. I hope I've made that clear. A higher grade of stainless steel might solve this problem, but I can't guarantee that. HALO simply hates water that much! Perhaps that's why our HALOs arrived with a dry-as-a-bone, anodized finish-- which consequently scratches quite easily. After talking to Gem-tech about the condition of the units, they suggested we apply some CLP to the finish. I jokingly asked if water would work and they hung up on me. CLP worked like a charm. It didn't get out all the scratches, but you have to remember: this is a mil-spec suppressor. It's ALL business. The guys that use these professionally aren't worried about a few scratches. They've got bigger fish to fry. Plus, a little Krylon or Duracoat goes a long way. Reminder: don't be afraid to spray down your expensive weapons. Jump in with both feet. However, if you're jumping into water-- don't bring HALO with you.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for my review of the LWRC M6A2 and our extensive coverage of this year's Shot Show starting the evening of January 15, 2009. Have a good one and God bless.

- Evan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Comes loose after 5 or so rounds? That's not accepatable to me. I'll pay for a mount that keeps the can on rather than have to constantly check for tightness.

And it doesn't like water? You HAVE TO be able to rinse a can out with water if you ever soak it for cleaning purposes. I spray mine out with the hose if I've soaked in in carbon cutter or if I've cleaned the blast chamber and there's pieces of carbon flakes still in there.
    Last edited by markm; 12-12-08 at 13:51.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've got a few hundred rounds through mine in the last year and never had it come loose.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireguy275 View Post
    I've got a few hundred rounds through mine in the last year and never had it come loose.
    Yeah. I'd think if it were a common problem this issue would be more often talked about.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the review.......nice lookin' M4 too.
    As a current owner of a few Halos and ten other AAC, Gem-Tech and AWC
    5.56 suppressors, I have never shot any of them "WET".
    In fact I always thought that was a manufacture's stated "NO-NO".
    If by chance you submerse your weapon in the field or
    get some unwanted water down the muzzle...drain and go, RIGHT.
    You should always follow with some type of "oil bath" cleaning,
    (immediately, I don't think so), just doing it is a smart thing to do.
    As for Mark's cleaning with a hose, hell I clean my UZI's and MAC's
    in the dishwasher on pot cycle. Followed by immersing in CLP and a wipe down.
    As for your Halo shooting loose after every five rounds.....that is totally unacceptable.
    I have never had this happen to me in over 10,000 rounds through a Halo. I have had
    other 5.56 suppressors spin loose or have their mount loosen off the weapon.
    that's why I have stated here before why I like the Halo's mount. With all those
    threads you can (torque) it down tighter than a mount with lesser threads.
    I like mine mounted on a PWS FSC556 which is rockset.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I agree. What I want to know is if this was a fluke or is it something to be expected? If it's not a known issue then I would be talking to someone about a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Comes loose after 5 or so rounds? That's not accepatable to me. I'll pay for a mount that keeps the can on rather than have to constantly check for tightness.

And it doesn't like water? You HAVE TO be able to rinse a can out with water if you ever soak it for cleaning purposes. I spray mine out with the hose if I've soaked in in carbon cutter or if I've cleaned the blast chamber and there's pieces of carbon flakes still in there.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I appreciate the review, but my (admittedly limited) experience with my HALO did not have it move. Now this was with the VLTOR AK mount (24mm) but it is essentially the same thing.

I poured hot water through my unit to dissolve and flush out the salts left from the corrosive ammo and flushed it with WD-40.

After the interior comes in contact with water, you must immediately soak the entire unit in diesel fuel, CLP, WD40, or some other nemesis of water. HALO hates water. I hope I've made that clear. A higher grade of stainless steel might solve this problem, but I can't guarantee that. HALO simply hates water that much!
    I am having a hard time with the above statement.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twodollarbill View Post
    Thanks for the review.......nice lookin' M4 too.
    As a current owner of a few Halos and ten other AAC, Gem-Tech and AWC
    5.56 suppressors, I have never shot any of them "WET".
    In fact I always thought that was a manufacture's stated "NO-NO".
    Wet shooting is detailed right in the AAC manual that came with my M4-1000.

I've done it and it does make it quieter.

Not being able to shoot it wet is a definite negative to me.

Feedback Score
    First I think there are some better options available for the money. With that said, I've seen Halo's fire a lot of rounds, and and many of those were on full auto. All were put on correctly, and non ever came off during firing. Also I have never personally observed this damaging moisture effect that is cautioned. Sure normal maintenance, but nothing special to protect it from water.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OnPointFirearms View Post
    We all know what the report of an AR15 sounds like. It's loud-- about 140dB. Gem-tech says the HALO reduces the sound signature by about 32dB, which gets it down to 108dB-- just above the threshold that causes hearing damage. So, it's not hearing safe-- but darn close."
    Just want to correct the incorrect info above,

An unsuppressed 16" AR-15 rifle will be c. 165 dB ( A-peak ), measured 1 m left of the muzzle with the appropriate equipment.

So the Gemtech HALO will bring it down to c. 133 dB ( A-peak ) by manufacturers numbers.

The threshold of hearing damage for impulse noise is generally considered to be c. 140 dB, so it will be below that, even when measured at the 1 m to the side of the muzzle location.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast