Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Default Review: Gem-tech HALO 5.56mm Suppressor

Feedback Score
    I have a buddy who's a sniper in the Marine Corps, and his guys run a few KAC M4QD's and a few Halos, and he said that the Halo would loosen for him and pissed him off.

I think this may be a problem of different dimensioned A2 FH's. Maybe if the A2 FH is undersize it's more of an issue. These aftermarket devices are more close tolerance as most are CNC machined parts.

It could also be mounting procedure. I visited Phil and he told me they advise people with thread mount cans to tighten the last 1/3rd to 1/4 turn briskly to get more torque into the system. It sounded sound, and maybe that's how the HALO mounts properly.

I doubt water would hurt it. It will rust some but in any firing water vapor is deposited due to condensation of the humidity in the compressed air. The key is not to be a complete dumbass and fill the silencer with water (water doesn't compress, so it can burst the tube), only a teaspoon of water is advisable, and the Halo is a conical baffled silencer so you should add it from the muzzle aperture, lift the gun at a 45-60degree angle momentarilly and let some water hit each chamber, rather than adding it to the rear of the silencer where all the water is increasing pressure in the expansion chamber where pressure is greatest. Storing with a teaspoon of water is a bad idea, so really this is something to save for a real operational need like snipers in a hide who want to take a shot without a first round flash. The first round from any silencer will flash at least a little.

Pistols are lower pressure so more crap can be tolerated than with rifle silencers.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    Does anybody use the VLTOR model#vc-1 FH with there gem-tech HALO supressor ?
    If so how do you like it ?
    I have one on my precision build. Very easy to attach the can and the flash suppression by itself is pretty good as well. I'd be interesting to see it in slo-mo to compare to other FH's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePAL84 View Post
    I have one on my precision build. Very easy to attach the can and the flash suppression by itself is pretty good as well. I'd be interesting to see it in slo-mo to compare to other FH's.
    Do you mean something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIsDl88mCpA

Feedback Score
    the only HALO that I have shot was BadCatBigBat's HALO at the Last ARFCOM Houston Crew Liberty Machinegun Shoot.

I think I shot it on an FN2000.

It seemed a little heavy and loud compared to the Ops Inc, Surefire and AAC cans.

The beauty of the HALO is that it mounts to any standard A2 flashider.

The weakness of the HALO is that it mounts to ANY A2 flash hider, no matter who made it, how it was made, or to what end of the specifications that flash hider was made.

Some will be loose, some will be tight, some will be off center, some will be perfectly straight.

You are putting a $1k can on one of these no-name flash hiders.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
    the only HALO that I have shot was BadCatBigBat's HALO at the Last ARFCOM Houston Crew Liberty Machinegun Shoot.

I think I shot it on an FN2000.

It seemed a little heavy and loud compared to the Ops Inc, Surefire and AAC cans.

The beauty of the HALO is that it mounts to any standard A2 flashider.

The weakness of the HALO is that it mounts to ANY A2 flash hider, no matter who made it, how it was made, or to what end of the specifications that flash hider was made.

Some will be loose, some will be tight, some will be off center, some will be perfectly straight.

You are putting a $1k can on one of these no-name flash hiders.
    I assume it would not work on a saber def ext flash hider. Am i correct on this?

Feedback Score
    Not sure. The model I have will only mate with an standard A2 and like it was mentioned above-- those tolerances very, making for an unstable platform.

Current 2009 production models will mate with A2s and Smith Vortex FHs. This technology is outdated. You have to wonder why AAC and other firms have abandoned their universal mount cans.

I'm not a credible source though, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

-- Evan

Feedback Score
    The technology isn't outdated, it just doesn't sell because the suppressor with an A2 mount is generally longer, heavier and louder than dedicated mount cans.

AAC has dropped their A2 mount, but SWR is bringing an A2 mount can onto the market.
    Last edited by SC-Texas; 06-30-09 at 11:33.

Feedback Score
    Why rely on a universal mount when better overall performance can be had by an enhanced proprietary FH? If I was going to buy another Gemtech, it would be the G5.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OnPointFirearms View Post
    Why rely on a universal mount when better overall performance can be had by an enhanced proprietary FH? If I was going to buy another Gemtech, it would be the G5.
    Some people do not want to spend $100.00 or more per dedicated mount i.e. Surefire, Gemtech G5, Ops Inc or AAC mounts.

I like dedicated mount cans or thread on cans.

Either one or the other. I'm not that interested in the A2 mount cans.

Feedback Score
    You're quite right-- especially since AAC and other silencer mfgs are no longer including FHs in the price.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123