Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meprolight M-21 experiences ???

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I had one (bullseye reticle) and sold it.

The two main failings, compared to a Aimpoint were: reticle washout when aiming from dark into light areas and blooming when in sunlight but target is in shadow.

I found the bullseye reticle covered too much of smaller distant targets. Great for close up work.

I also liked that my astigmatism wasn't as pronounced with the M21 as it is with the Aimpoint.

H

Feedback Score
    I had the "x" reticle model mounted on a MSAR Stg-556. I didn't experience bloom in bright sunlight, but I did experience washout when shooting from a dark area/shade into a brightly lit target. That washout was so bad I returned it to the LGS.

It felt rugged and had a nice mount that is calibrated to the optic at the factory. In complete darkness the tritium did it's job and presented a nice reticle. I also really liked the fact that it auto adjusted the reticle brightness and that no batteries were required.

I am currently just running irons, but I plan on putting a TA-33 ACOG or Aimpoint Micro on her. I don't think I will run an M21 on any of my platforms in the future.

Feedback Score
    I have an M-21 with the 4.3 MOA reticle and I like it just fine. It's stood up to my use and abuse without breaking or losing zero. Because it has light collectors both on top and on the front, the reticle isn't as prone to getting washed-out when I'm in shade and aiming at a bright target. Before I got it I was apprehensive about the lens's blue tint obscuring dark targets on dark backgrounds, but in use, especially with both eyes open, it's not a problem. The one thing I'd change if I could is the reticle; I'd get the triangle or maybe the bulls eye instead of the dot.

I too have wondered why the M21 isn't more popular. It's good enough for Israeli door-kickers, so it should have a surfeit of adequacy for anyone else's uses.

Feedback Score
    I've been reading all kinds of blog posts and forum replies all over the internet, and it sounds like most people like it.

No optic is going to be all things all the time.

For blooming, it seems the optic's "windows" for the fiber optic lend themselves to partially obscuring with tape, i.e., you could just tape up one "window" and soldier on.

I was reading several comparisons between the M21 and the Trijicon reflex sights, and the M21 seems to be less prone to washout in the majority of comparisons I read.

I wonder if the triangle reticle helps resist washout, being that it's a larger reticle than the dot, bullseye, or potentially even the X?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 11-10-15 at 13:50.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12