Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The great shotgun urban myth

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    A properly set up age/size-appropriate shotgun (like the 20g Youth mentioned by F2S), with light loads, is every bit as easy to learn on as a handgun. It's also substantially less likely to get pointed in an unsafe direction (much easier to point a handgun at yourself than a 18-20" bbl shotgun).

In about an hour you can teach a non-gun person to load a shotgun, fire it, and keep it in a safe but ready condition. In the event of danger, all she has to do is rack a round in the chamber, shoulder the gun, and get a long-barreled shoulder weapon properly aligned on a close range target. Pull the trigger. Let the little lead balls do the rest.

The odds of needing multiple shots is far less. If anyone wants to argue that a decent 20g buck load is no more lethal than a handgun round, have at it.

I do not think the shotgun is an ideal home defense weapon. But it is a perfectly good alternative, and a superior one for folks with minimal training.

The recoil of shotguns (even 20ga) is too much for a lot of female shooters. The added complexity of the safety and racking the shotgun is also too much complexity as well IMHO.

A good snubby revolver or G-Lock/MP is a much simplar tool I think and if she decided to get her CCW, she is good to go already and does not have to buy another weapon.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 12-13-08 at 16:27.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
    Hey, it worked for me once. Someone at about 1 AM was trying to pull the door off the hinges. I got next to the door and "racked" my 870. Next thing I heard was the guy beat feet off the front porch.
    Or he heard/saw someone coming and left. You don't know.

A serious murderer or rapist is NOT going to run in fear from the sound of a shotgun being racked (unless maybe it is pointed at them).

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 12-13-08 at 16:29.

ToddG Guest
    Grant -- I've never found an adult who was incapable of handling a 20g shotgun with a little training. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point. I've met far more women who'd struggle with the DA pull on a revolver.

I'd also argue that the manual of arms even on a gun like a Glock/M&P is far more complicated and prone to user-induced problems than a shotgun. As for the safety, it's a non-issue. Keep the gun chamber empty with the safety off. When the shooting is all over, rack the gun back into chamber empty condition.

It's certainly true that having a handgun will make things easier down the road if she chooses to CCW.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    A serious murderer or rapist is NOT going to run in fear from the sound of a shotgun being racked (unless maybe it is pointed at them).
    I would agree that someone intent on causing specific harm to a specific person may not run away just because he hears the sound of a shotgun. But in general terms, criminals are predators searching for the weakest prey. A threat indicator like a shotgun being loaded is certainly likely to make most of them rethink their prey selection.

If you're worried about assassins, sure, giving away your position and all that is a bad idea. But as I said earlier, even if it only works some of the time, it's better than shooting someone.

edited to add: I've got a 12g Simunition kit. I can tell you from numerous personal experiences that when students or role players hear the shotgun being racked on the other side of a wall or door, it immediately causes folks to reassess their threat level. Again, if you're worried about being attacked by a team of trained ninja assassins, you probably don't want to give them warning. If you're a typical home owner living in suburbia, the meth addict who picked your house because you have the nicest furniture visible through the windows is probably not quite as motivated.
    Last edited by ToddG; 12-13-08 at 16:38.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Grant -- I've never found an adult who was incapable of handling a 20g shotgun with a little training. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point. I've met far more women who'd struggle with the DA pull on a revolver.

I'd also argue that the manual of arms even on a gun like a Glock/M&P is far more complicated and prone to user-induced problems than a shotgun. As for the safety, it's a non-issue. Keep the gun chamber empty with the safety off. When the shooting is all over, rack the gun back into chamber empty condition.

It's certainly true that having a handgun will make things easier down the road if she chooses to CCW.
    I shoot a 20ga shotgun for upland bird and have had female shooters shoot it and hand it back to me "no thank you!" I just think that the length of stocks, weight and complexity of "knobs, button and charmbering of round" is often times a lot for them to do under stress.

I showed here my M&P with the X300 and Devgru switch along with CT laser grips. She grabbed the weapon and got illumination and designation at the same time. She could also activate the light/laser with just one hand (allowing her to open doors and do other things). Being able to mount a light on home defense gun is EXTREMELY important. Having a laser on it also allows a person that shoots very little to hit what they want.

There are VERY few options for mounting a light/laser on a shotgun and most anyting worth using is pricey.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 12-13-08 at 16:41.

Feedback Score
    Or he heard/saw someone coming and left. You don't know.

C4
    Doubt very seriously that I was going to be raped, and sure as hell wasn't going to be murdered. Yeah, I'll give you that he may have heard/seen something, but I kinda doubt it based on the time line. He was yanking away at the screen door as I was running to the shotgun and starting on the door when I racked it. I was at best 2~2 1/2 feet from him, so I have little doubt he heard "something". Regardless as soon as the shotgun cycled, the door quit making noise and I heard him hit the railing on the way off the porch. Would I rely strictly on the "distinctive sound" to be the sole deterrent. No way. But given the alternative of shooting him as he trespassed, I'll gladly take his departure instead. Would I have shot him. I like to think so, but fortunately for him, I'll never know for sure.

NRA Life Member
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I would agree that someone intent on causing specific harm to a specific person may not run away just because he hears the sound of a shotgun. But in general terms, criminals are predators searching for the weakest prey. A threat indicator like a shotgun being loaded is certainly likely to make most of them rethink their prey selection.

If you're worried about assassins, sure, giving away your position and all that is a bad idea. But as I said earlier, even if it only works some of the time, it's better than shooting someone.

edited to add: I've got a 12g Simunition kit. I can tell you from numerous personal experiences that when students or role players hear the shotgun being racked on the other side of a wall or door, it immediately causes folks to reassess their threat level. Again, if you're worried about being attacked by a team of trained ninja assassins, you probably don't want to give them warning. If you're a typical home owner living in suburbia, the meth addict who picked your house because you have the nicest furniture visible through the windows is probably not quite as motivated.

The problem with the "shotgun chambering" theory is that you are making several assumptions. First, that the bad guy can hear you do it. Second, that they can recognize that sound as ONLY coming from a shotgun.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
    Doubt very seriously that I was going to be raped, and sure as hell wasn't going to be murdered. Yeah, I'll give you that he may have heard/seen something, but I kinda doubt it based on the time line. He was yanking away at the screen door as I was running to the shotgun and starting on the door when I racked it. I was at best 2~2 1/2 feet from him, so I have little doubt he heard "something". Regardless as soon as the shotgun cycled, the door quit making noise and I heard him hit the railing on the way off the porch. Would I rely strictly on the "distinctive sound" to be the sole deterrent. No way. But given the alternative of shooting him as he trespassed, I'll gladly take his departure instead. Would I have shot him. I like to think so, but fortunately for him, I'll never know for sure.
    He most likely was not hell bent on doing you hard then.

My house is brick with steel doors. If you racked shotgun in my house and I was outside, I would NEVER hear it.

What I am saying is that people that choose a shotgun for defense solely because of the "sound it makes when I chamber a round" are stupid.

C4

ToddG Guest
    The problem with the "shotgun chambering" theory is that you are making several assumptions. First, that the bad guy can hear you do it. Second, that they can recognize that sound as ONLY coming from a shotgun.
    Again, we're confusing things here. I never said that racking a round into a shotgun was going to end every fight.

The point, as I demonstrated with my SimFX examples and as No.6 relayed from personal experience, is that if the BG hears it and if the BG identifies the sound you may stave off what would otherwise become a violent encounter that could easily result in your incarceration, legal expenses, massive media attention, etc.

The same exact thing is true for using a laser. Do I count on the little red dot to induce compliance with every living being it touches? Of course not. But enough folks have seen it help gain compliance that I'm not going to ignore its usefulness.

I carry 124gr +p Gold Dots in my pistol. I'm sure you can find legitimate stories where someone was shot with one and it didn't cause instantaneous cessation of hostility. Doesn't mean my choice of ammo is bad just because it isn't 100% effective.

Feedback Score
    He most likely was not hell bent on doing you hard then.

My house is brick with steel doors. If you racked shotgun in my house and I was outside, I would NEVER hear it.

What I am saying is that people that choose a shotgun for defense solely because of the "sound it makes when I chamber a round" are stupid.

C4
    I agree with you on all points. The house I was living in at the time was a wood frame house, wood clapboard exterior and questionable amount of insulation in the walls. I live in a brick/steel door house these days.
    I've since sold the 870 and rely on my AR carbine for home protection and I really have my doubts that a bad guy would hear the charging handle cycle, since I always have a round chambered at night. Like I said in the post before, would I rely on the "distinctive sound". No way.

On a side note, I sure will be glad when I can trade my 16" carbine that I'm using now for that 12" LMT SBR MRP that I'm getting from you. Check your PM if you would.
    Last edited by No.6; 12-13-08 at 16:57.

NRA Life Member
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast