Thread: Help me choose a pistol caliber carbine

Feedback Score

Help me choose a pistol caliber carbine

I have now finished my second AR build (as soon as the parts arrive). I now want to get a pistol caliber carbine. A friend has a Beretta Cx4 Storm and I've shot it and LOVE it. It is currently at the top of my list. However, one of the major advantages (other than ammo prices) seems to be the ability to use the same mags in your handgun and carbine. I don't own a Beretta 92 or Px4 and have no plans to buy one (WELL... probably anyway, although the Px4 is tempting). I usually carry either a Glock 17 or an XD-40. I know the Kel-Tec will use Glock mags, but I have handled them and did not care for them at all. Are there other carbines I should consider? I thought about a 9mm AR, but I want to add some variety to my collection and as I said, I already have 2 AR's.

This will mostly be a range toy, but may see some use for home defense. Also, they seem a bit easier to handle than an AR, so it may be in my wife's hands in a SHTF scenario.

It will probably be spring before I can buy one, but I'm thinking of stocking up on some mags now, which is why I want to go ahead and make a final decision on which to buy. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Last edited by frogger; 12-16-08 at 21:16.
    ••••••••••••••••••••
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    If I could have any pistol caliber carbine, that readily available w/o modification or conversion, it is an MP5/40 clone, or if you want a 9mm just an MP5 Clone

Like the ones made by Vector and Choarie
    Second Amendment Absolutist!

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
    -seen on a speed shop in Michigan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I like the .357 revolver & Marlin lever gun in .357 as a pistol caliber carbine combo. Outstanding range of loads for the .357, noticeable improvment to performance in the long barrel of the carbine, and the darned things are just FUN!
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    The beauty of the 9mm AR is that you're already half way there. One of the most versatile of the available options.

Since a 9mm semi-auto rifle is arguably no better than a handgun in a practical sense, go for something with some character, or history behind it.

MP5 clone, Uzi, or.... MP5 or Uzi. Can't think of any other 9mms with some soul, off the top of my head, that are reasonably gettable. One of those TPR SBRs from DSA would be cool-ish.

Feedback Score
    The beauty of the 9mm AR is that you're already half way there. One of the most versatile of the available options.

Since a 9mm semi-auto rifle is arguably no better than a handgun in a practical sense, go for something with some character, or history behind it.

MP5 clone, Uzi, or.... MP5 or Uzi. Can't think of any other 9mms with some soul, off the top of my head, that are reasonably gettable. One of those TPR SBRs from DSA would be cool-ish.