Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $10,000 to invest when market sh!ts

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

$10,000 to invest when market sh!ts

When the stock market experiences its seemingly inevitable, upcoming crash I would like to invest 10k.

I am a 401k, mutual fund investor. Never had much success picking stocks. I would appreciate some suggestions. I was thinking about DOW diamond or NASDAQ Spyder
    Last edited by signal4l; 03-19-22 at 23:15.

Feedback Score
    Look, I am by no means a Nancy Pelosi or an investment wiz but I do have a financial planner who has made me a decent return on my initial 10k, now I have invested much more with him throughout the years but he and others that I have talked with all seem to understand that with a downturn there is opportunity, I would recommend talking to one before talking to some random person on the internet, but that is just my 2 cents, which only adds up to 2.3 cents over time
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Go read John Boggles book. He is the guy that started Vanguard.
    In short, invest in index funds.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Look, I am by no means a Nancy Pelosi or an investment wiz but I do have a financial planner who has made me a decent return on my initial 10k, now I have invested much more with him throughout the years but he and others that I have talked with all seem to understand that with a downturn there is opportunity, I would recommend talking to one before talking to some random person on the internet, but that is just my 2 cents, which only adds up to 2.3 cents over time
    I agree. Speaking to investment advisor is next step. Just looking to start a conversation

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The market has already corrected. You think there's MORE downturn??

Put all 10k in CIDM.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

$10,000 to invest when market sh!ts

Don’t try to time the market. Invest in an index fund and let it sit.

This assumes you won’t need the money for at least 5 years.

I made adjustments to my portfolio after the election was stolen. It has prevented me from losing more on paper than I have already to date.

Just one more reason to hate XiDen and his merry band of idiots.

This doesn’t even consider what I am losing to inflation.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 03-20-22 at 09:10.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Basically this. I have been investing since 2006. I have ridden through the 2008, 2020, and now 2022 crashes. Every time some person smarter than me tells me that everything has changed, this is it, cash out, etc. It always comes back. Back in 2008 a guy who is unquestionably smarter than I am cashed out at the BOTTOM of the financial crisis telling me that he didn't think capitalism would survive, etc. I told him "Dude, if capitalism doesn't survive, I already have AK-47s".

In 2020 a dude at least as smart as me was schadenfrueding me about my colossal losses at the beginng of covid. I pointed out to him that even at the bottom I still had way more than I had ever put in. Never cash out until you are done, buy into a broad index fund whenever you have cash on had. Warren Buffet himself is putting all his money into Index funds after he is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Don’t try to time the market. Invest in an index fund and let it sit.

This assumes you won’t need the money for at least 5 years.

I made adjustments to my portfolio after the election was stolen. It has prevented me from losing more on paper than I have already to date.

Just one more reason to hate XiDen and his merry band of idiots.

This doesn’t even consider what I am losing to inflation.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Unless you find an advisor that can show you a track record of past performance in volatile markets, stick with traditional investment strategies detailed above.

Even with proven success in the past, there is higher risk. A good advisor is gonna explain all this in detail and flesh out your risk tolerance really well. If he talks "I can make great returns in any market" (especially without real documentation), get the F up and walk out.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    A boring ass S&P 500 index fund is tough to go wrong with. Buy the fund, and forget you own it for about 10 years.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    IVV/VOO or ITOT/VTI depending on your broker, then leave it alone.

Don't try to time the market...There is very little chance you'll time the bottom correctly anyway....Just get it in. Time in the market beats timing the market.

Quantitative analysis has pretty conclusively shown that lump-sum investing beats DCA, but if you feel that DCA would give you some risk mitigation, then go for it...Just do it over a relatively short period of time (Something like $2k every two weeks over 10 weeks total)
    Last edited by kerplode; 03-20-22 at 14:13.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast