Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Colt "Black Army" by MARS

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    WWB is some NASTY stuff:

1-R-1 drills with the Axiom (from holster):

some splash back next to live rounds:
    Last edited by David Thomas; 11-02-11 at 13:37.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    2,000 Round Challenge

RULES

* Shooter must use a single pistol (distinct brand, model, caliber, serial number) for the entire 2,000 rounds. Pistol should be properly cleaned and lubricated before the test begins. Any brand pistol, stock or modified (please list all modifications), any caliber.

* Shooter can take as long as necessary (days, weeks, months) to fire 2,000 rounds through the pistol.

* The pistol cannot be cleaned, lubricated, or maintained in any way during the entire 2,000 round test period.

* Shooter can use any type of ammunition: factory, remanufactured, or hand loaded. Shooter can use as many different brands, styles, bullet weights, etc. as necessary as long as all ammunition meets the SAAMI specifications for the caliber of the gun.

* Shooter must report ALL stoppages, malfunctions, and/or parts breakages that occur during the 2,000 round test regardless of cause. This includes any such problems that are deemed "shooter-induced" or "ammunition-induced."

* If a stoppage, malfunction, or breakage may be ammunition-induced, the shooter can follow this procedure (but must still report the actual results with the original test pistol): if the round still has a bullet, powder, and undetonated primer the shooter can attempt to fire the round in a freshly lubricated and cleaned pistol of different brand than the test gun. If the round fails to fire in this second pistol which is clean, lubricated, and not of the same brand, then although the original stoppage or malfunction must be reported it will not count against achieving the "2,000 Round Challenge" success criteria.

DEFINITIONS
    Stoppage: Any failure of the pistol to go through its entire cycle of operation. This could include a failure to feed, fire, extract, or eject. A problem qualifies as a Stoppage if and only if the shooter is capable of fixing the problem without the use of any tools, without disassembling the gun in any way (magazine can be removed), and the pistol is in firing condition in less than 30 seconds. For example, a stovepipe or failure of the slide to go fully into battery would be Stoppages. Added 21-Jan-08: Failure to lock back after the last round in a magazine is fired, even if the shooter believes it was caused by an improper grip, is considered a stoppage.

Malfunction: Any failure of the pistol to go through its entire cycle of operation and which requires the use of tools, disassembly of any part of the pistol, and/or takes more than 30 seconds to resolve, but does not require any parts replacement. For example, a dislodged spring or a front sight that falls off the gun would be Malfunctions.

Breakage: Any failure of the pistol to go through its entire cycle of operation and which requires parts replacement (springs, pins, locking block, anything) to resolve. For example, a broken spring or chipped extractor would be Breakages.

Pistol: Colt 1911 “Black Army” Repro with MARS Armament Axiom Package
    Caliber: 45 acp
    Ammunition: 51 reloads (200 gr SWC), 200 Win. White Box 230 fmj, 50 PMC 230gr. fmj, 1,650 CCI Blazer 230gr. fmj, 55 assorted hollow points including 200 gr. Corbon +p, 200 gr Hornady +p, 230 gr Hornady +p, 180 gr DPX, Winchester Ranger 230 gr. +p, and Winchester Black Talon

Dates of testing: 9/20-11/2 – 2011
    Total rounds fired: 2,006
    Stoppages: 1
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

Comments:
    This is my daily carry and remained so throughout this test and today. The one stoppage occurred during a drill created by either Hackathorn or LAV simply called “The Test.” As I understand it and as I shoot it, the drill is as follows: shoot 10 rounds at a target (8” circle) from 10 yards starting from the holster in ten seconds or less. I was using a 10 round mag for this drill. (I know the drill can be modified for an 8 round 1911.) The particular magazine I was using is a Chip McCormick 10 rounder that dates back at least 7 years (never had springs replaced). The stoppage occurred on the last round in the magazine. The slide/cartridge pick up rail did not pick up the case at the case head and pinned the cartridge instead of feeding it. This stoppage occurred between 1,800 – 1,900 rounds fired. I used this 10 round magazine in the testing frequently up until this point and then set it aside.

Other than the magazine mentioned above, I mainly used Cobra Gen II and Wilson ETM mags, but used other mags throughout the test including Wilson 47D’s, Kimber, Colt, CMC power mags, and Cobra Gen 1 mags.

The assortment of hollow points is pictured above except for the DPX rounds.
    I also found one reload that I loaded into the magazines and shot along with the HPs. These rounds were the LAST rounds fired through this gun. The picture of the giant muzzle flash was the absolute last round fired and believed to be one of the Hornady +P loadings. We had tried unsuccessfully up until that point to take pictures of the muzzle flash of the hollow points. That is the only muzzle flash we happened to catch on camera.

The first 50 rounds fired through the gun for this 2k challenge were my reloads with lead semi-wadcutters. I wanted to go ahead and get the gun good and dirty to start the test.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

new grips

A very special thanks to VZ Grips!! I LOVE these new grips.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thomas View Post

A very special thanks to VZ Grips!! I LOVE these new grips.
    are those canvas frags??

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    very impressive results on the 2k, and a true testament to the build quality. With those dirty pics I almost assumed you were doing all reloads! What did you use for lube prior to the test?

Congrats again

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    are those canvas frags??
    uh... no idea what you are talking about. I dont think they make those... but yeah, good eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    very impressive results on the 2k, and a true testament to the build quality. With those dirty pics I almost assumed you were doing all reloads! What did you use for lube prior to the test?

Congrats again
    Thank you. I used Brian Enos' Slide Glide Lite. I am very pleased with how long it stayed slick and in the gun. The Win White Box with its nasty powder and dust really was the nastiest stuff I shot. With each round fired, unburned powder rained down from the muzzle.
    Last edited by David Thomas; 11-04-11 at 16:13.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    old springs on the left. new springs on the right:

FP Springs:

recoil springs:

the culprit:
    Last edited by David Thomas; 11-05-11 at 13:27.

Feedback Score
    Dave, did you get the new springs from Steve? Or are they different from the ones Steve puts in?

I am about do for some new spring for my Axiom.

Thanks, Colin

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinmc View Post
    Dave, did you get the new springs from Steve? Or are they different from the ones Steve puts in?

I am about do for some new spring for my Axiom.

Thanks, Colin
    Not sure what Steve uses, but I keep Wolfe and Wilson springs on hand. Depending on the ammo, I use either 16# or 18.5. The new springs pictured are Wolfe springs.

For regular ball ammo I would use 16#.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

It is official, these grips are now my all time favorite. VZ and Ned have really come up with a winner. I put my Crimson Trace grips back on yesterday, but took them right back off and put the Frags back on.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast