Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1:00 ejection & Short stroking ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

1:00 ejection & Short stroking ?

My 16" mid length with 4oz T2 buffer is throwing brass lazily at 1:30 but short stroked 3 times in 150 round range session. I never had a feeding issue until yesterday. The brass was ejecting only 3 feet away and slowly but at a 1 to 2 o'clock pattern. I was thinking replace T2 with standard buffer but the ejection pattern suggest I need heavier buffer. How can over gas signs & under gased signs happen at same time, I'm confused. I was shooting IMI 55 grain .
    Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by JoeBobJoe; 04-02-22 at 14:41.
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    Those much more knowledgeable then I should be chiming in pretty quick - in the mean time ejection pattern is not the last word on the status of your gas system. It sounds like extractor/extractor spring problem.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks. You think the extractor force could be too heavy, I got a standard 4 coil with rubber insert, plus O-ring. I'll remove O-ring
    Something I'll try out. I'll also throw in a standard carbine buffer.
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBobJoe View Post
    Thanks. You think the extractor force could be too heavy, I got a standard 4 coil with rubber insert, plus O-ring. I'll remove O-ring
    The short stroking probably has nothing to do with the extractor, I would leave the o-ring on the extractor spring. Your buffer weight is probably too heavy, or your recoil spring might be too strong (unless it’s a standard recoil spring). I would swap out the H2 buffer with a H buffer, and if that doesn’t work then a normal carbine buffer. Keeping good strong extraction tension is a positive in my book. Try the different buffers first & report back & tell us what happens. Good luck.
    Last edited by Cane55; 04-02-22 at 15:26.
    “You can ignore reality, but you can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.”- Ayn Rand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks. I'll run it with a couple different buffer weights.
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A forward ejection with sufficient extractor tension will not be caused by too much buffer weight. What barrel are you using?

You are almost certainly not experiencing short stroking, but much more likely an extremely overgassed rifle.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBobJoe View Post
    Yeah, I actually was not thinking / saying the extractor force was "too heavy"

I was thinking (based on your description) the cartridge case MIGHT be leaving the bolt face prematurely.

Anyway, - far more helpful than my "thoughts" - somewhere around the forum here is a trouble-shooting flow-chart that can help you approach this in a logical manner. Random swapping/tweaking/removing/replacing, without Variable Isolation, is a good recipe for lots of wasted time and ammo before you learn the actual culprit / culprits

Good luck, and keep us posted.
    Last edited by rifleman8; 04-03-22 at 06:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    A forward ejection with sufficient extractor tension will not be caused by too much buffer weight. What barrel are you using?

You are almost certainly not experiencing short stroking, but much more likely an extremely overgassed rifle.
    This would be my thought as well. My 13” mid barrel with 0.076 gas port has a violent bolt speed with a regular carbine spring and buffer.

Issues I thought were short strokes were from excessive bolt speed.

After moving to A5 lower with a5h2 buffer it’s the smoothest shooting rifle I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Two things to start with:

1. Get rid of the stupid O ring. There's no need for it on any decent gun. AND,

2. Look at the gas key end of the Gas tube. If it looks worn smooth and doesn't have that "bulb" shape, you need to replace the tube.

That IMI ammo could be the problem too of course. But I've had to replace 2 middy gas tubes in the past because they wore down prematurely and leaked so much gas, the guns' reliability suffered.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    2. Look at the gas key end of the Gas tube. If it looks worn smooth and doesn't have that "bulb" shape, you need to replace the tube.
    In your experience what causes the premature wear of the bulb on the end of the gas tube?”
    “You can ignore reality, but you can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.”- Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast