Thread: Smith Vortex Install

Feedback Score

Smith Vortex Install

https://i.imgur.com/WmqUuOA.png

I know the Vortex is supposed to be put on hand tight and then shot to get it down proper.

This is as far as I am getting it with hand tight. I can get it a little further with a wrench but I wonder if the threads inside the Vortex are effed up. I know the barrel threads are fine because others screw on without a hiccup.

Do I have a messed up Smith Vortex?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If that's all the further you can screw it on with your hand, don't use a wrench....something is definitely messed up with it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    High probability it's threads are the wrong pitch
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd be chasing the threads or if needed, have someone do it for you. I'd first take a peek for any observables.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The threads are 1/2-28. Shouldn't be too hard to find a 1/2-28 bolt to check the threads on the Vortex.

No doubt you paid between $50 and $90 for it, so if that bolt doesn't screw in easily, I'd return it.

If you are going to chase the threads in the vortex, you'll need to use a bottoming tap. For the barrel, a standard die will work.

As, I said if it doesn't screw on, I'd return it. Speaking from experience, LOL.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I sent it back to vortex. They made me pay for the shipping there which is kinda lame.