Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffer Stand-off

Feedback Score

Buffer Stand-off

When you close the upper and lower the BCG makes contact with the buffer and slightly pushes it off the buffer retainer.

Is there a minimum specified gap or measurement between the buffer and the buffer retainer when the upper and lower are together? If so how can it be measured or gauged?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I’m feeling lazy, so I’m not looking for the video. But, I think what will answer your question...

After removing the upper receiver and the BCG from the upper, compress the BCG into the receiver extension as far as possible. You should be able to fit two quarters between rear of the gas key and the the lower receiver. If you can’t, drop a quarter into the back of the receiver extension until you can.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    You would have to use the drawings and tolerances listed on them for all the parts involved to come up with actual numbers for the least and most.

I think they may be a youtube video of someone trying to show a way to do it, but the video does not take into account that the spring pushes on the buffer and the face of the buffer without the carrier against it is on an angle. The angled buffer, using the method shown on the video, would not start moving rearward off the pin at first contact so the method used does not appear to be valid to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I’m feeling lazy, so I’m not looking for the video. But, I think what will answer your question...

After removing the upper receiver and the BCG from the upper, compress the BCG into the receiver extension as far as possible. You should be able to fit two quarters between rear of the gas key and the the lower receiver. If you can’t, drop a quarter into the back of the receiver extension until you can.
    What you're referring to measures the gap between the carrier key and the rear portion of the lower receiver which should be at least 0.133
    thumbnail_Image-2.jpg

What I'm referring to is the gap between the buffer and the buffer retainer when the upper and lower are put together.
    thumbnail_Image-3.jpg
    Last edited by prepare; 04-09-22 at 16:34.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting those!
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Thanks for posting those!
    No problem.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Prepare, thanks for the correction.

556Cliff, is that you? Cool videos. Also, I think I need to watch again to count that stack of Colt boxes.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Prepare, thanks for the correction.

556Cliff, is that you? Cool videos. Also, I think I need to watch again to count that stack of Colt boxes.
    No that's not me, but he has some great tips that have me kicking myself for not thinking them up myself. He posts here under the screen name "the AR-15 Junkie" and over on TOS under the screen name "OTDR".
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 04-10-22 at 15:17.

Feedback Score
    Except the buffer does not start moving off the pin when it is first contacted by the carrier in the upper. You can hold the lower up and see that the spring has the buffer face cocked on an angle. Push the top of the buffer and see how much movement it takes to get the buffer face at 90 degrees with the lower and the buffer never moves off of the pin. You would have to adjust for that and other factors to arrive at an accurate distance the buffer is pushed off of the retaining pin. One other factor is the uppers lug back corners can hit the back curves in the lower and stop the rearward movement of upper before the gap close and the rear retaining pin may still push in. Any leftover gap needs to be accounted for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast