Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: Army picks SIG to produce Next Generation Squad Weapon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Thread drift-maybe move the logistics and tactics portion of this to General Discussion and talk about the weapons here.
    The very subject matter of the thread itself is somewhat out of place to begin with, so perhaps it would be best to relocate it to the Other Semiautomatic Rifles Subforum?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo40 View Post
    The very subject matter of the thread itself is somewhat out of place to begin with, so perhaps it would be best to relocate it to the Other Semiautomatic Rifles Subforum?
    Good idea, tks
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    That's the point. It was not a disaster then, and logistics has improved since then.
    Pretty deep analysis there. Should I also apply it to my posts that were responding to you earlier?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    How is this an improvement on that? At best, this would mimic that, assuming 240s and SAWs disappear at the same time this is fielded.Attachment 71636
    It actually is a substantial improvement. WWII logistics included the necessity to provide the same cartridge in 3-4 types of packing (boxed/Springfield clipped, Garand clipped, and belted), as well as two others for large scale use, right down to the squad level. Once this program is successful, it should result in one cartridge in 2-3 types of packing (boxed/clipped, and belted), and then 9mm for pistol use at the infantry squad level. For POGs, 5.56 would be needed, but small arms expenditure wouldn't be as high. Even if non-Infantry guys in combat units like Medics will likely stick with their M4s, they aren't going to be the guys doing mag dumps, so we're still not the same level as WWII/Korea-era squads with M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, BARs, 1919s, Thompsons, and Grease Guns all down at the platoon all throwing lead.

So we would have the same number of calibers, but in a far more streamlined ratio with reduced packaging requirements.. That seems to me to be a substantial improvement, and not too dissimilar from what we have now/have had.
    Last edited by Alpha-17; 04-26-24 at 08:10.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Not really useful for much data, as they aren't using the correct load or projectile, and there is a lot of "oh my gawd!" type reactions, but somewhat entertaining.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post

Not really useful for much data, as they aren't using the correct load or projectile, and there is a lot of "oh my gawd!" type reactions, but somewhat entertaining.
    Cool that they got the updated steel magazine.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Unboxing their new rifles. Infantry privates, 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Unboxing their new rifles. Infantry privates, 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division.
    Damn dude, you always come through!

As a side note, they look like kids! Yeah, I'm an old bastage (see sigline) but jeez! I guess I was one of them once (left the day after I turned 18), but still......
    Last edited by ABNAK; Today at 18:37.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don't think nary a one can shave yet.

The closest one has a wedding band.

Feedback Score
    I wish that YouTubers would give it a rest with posting click-baity videos which imply that they actually have MILSPEC 6.8x51 ammo when they just have the low pressure, brass cased, .277 Fury ammo that isn't even close to being in the same league, yet they seem to either be under the impression that the difference is the same as .223 Remington to 5.56x45 NATO, or at least they deally hope that the average viewer is.

Oh well, at least it isn't as asinine as when Military Arms Channel used a Bolt Action Rifle Chambered in 6.5 Creedmore and tested it against body armor as if it were a perfect analog to 6.8x51 out of a SIG MCX Spear.

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Damn dude, you always come through!

As a side note, they look like kids! Yeah, I'm an old bastage (see sigline) but jeez! I guess I was one of them once (left the day after I turned 18), but still......
    I was thinking the same thing... It's funny but, you never really see yourself that way when you're the age, so only once you're older do you have that reaction to young men.

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738