Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SBR 10" SIG 556 - Optics & BUIS & Conversion Questions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    Also, I've heard where people using Sig 55x guns "socially" are merely buying replacement parts like complete bolts and dropping in the replacements while sending their old bolts back to SIG for service.

Is this warranty type service, or by-the-hour service?

Where can I get the complete bolt replacements, if this is the accepted methodology for service?
    For the record, that can't be true because there are ZERO replacement parts available yet. For the record I have 2 556's one of which I baby, and one of which I bought cheap because of cosmetic damage. I have run over 2000 rounds through the ugly girl without cleaning her once! I have gone through about 400 Federal 55g fmj, about 400 rounds of standard 62gr ball, and over 1200 rounds of 69 and 75 grain PRVI Partizen HPBT. I have had one FTF that was a bad primer, as I hand fed it into my LWRC and attempted twice two fire it. That's 2000+ rounds with NO problems through a rifle that has never been cleaned.

Check out the SIG556 forums, I have seen exactly two people complain about reliability issues out of hundreds.

I didn't mean for my first post to be argumentative. I have lurked here for a while , and I REALLY like this forum compared to others I frequent. I just wanted to set the record straight.

Feedback Score
    I am getting the Sig 556 pistol and will convert it over to SBR. Has anyone done the conversion personally? How'd it go? Words of wisdom?

I've also seen the Samson and MI front sights that will interact with AR rear BUIS, but how do they interact with an Aimpoint M2? What mount would be ideal for typical cowitness setups, lower 1/3 or absolute...?

The Samson or RSR rail look like you could mount regular AR BUIS both front and rear, is that the case? What mount for an Aimpoint M2 then?

Does the stock on the SBR effect the plane of view in either scenario?

Is there a better choice of BUIS and red dot?
    I have a 556 SBR. Order the handrail version, I got mine from Big Sky guns for around $1450,

1. File BATF forms, and wait forever and a day.
    2. Remove buttcap and thread commercial sized buffer tube on.
    3. Wonder what life is like for people who don't have one!

Here's some good advice I was given:
    Get a KNS pushpin to replace ridiculous screws up front. Run an Eotech of your choice way up forward. Get the Griffin replacement charging handle. It will let you charge the bolt without scraping off mounds of flesh on the Eotech. Feed it 69-75 grain ammo, it has a 1 in 7 twist. I was VERY surprised at the accuracy and almost non-existent recoil. Do not get the stock CTR folder, either run an ACE or standard CTR, or wait for SIG's new one.
    Last edited by Trey73; 01-16-09 at 02:02. Reason: ebonics

Feedback Score
    If you go with Samson front, it will mate with any AR15 rear so choose the optic and mount you would normally go with

However, the cheek weld is very loose with AR15 sights. The new SIG front and rear are slightly lower

Or you go with Aurora front and rear which would be the correct height for a SIG carbine, and then you could mount a T1 directly to the rail for a middish/low co-witness. This is the lightest weight and tightest cheekweld combo

It would be nice if the pistol could take swiss stocks like so

Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I got the pistol. Got the Samson flangeless rail. Got the CTR in FDE. Vltor extension, non-folder. I have an FDE riser on order with Magpul. I am going to try Troy FDE HK style sights with a T1 in a ADM SOCOM mount first.

If that stinks, I will be looking to do Aurora (if they even make the rears ) or Sig556 diopters and an M2 in a LaRue RASII mount.

March to the sound of guns and kill everyone not dressed like you
    Feedback Score
    The rear aurora sights have shipped. It's the front sights we're waiting on now.

Feedback Score
    I posted a long post and then realized the new uppers are different too, never mind.
    Last edited by Trey73; 01-16-09 at 01:58. Reason: dumb-assery

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-oh View Post
    The rear aurora sights have shipped. It's the front sights we're waiting on now.
    I have had my rear sight for a while now and like you I have been waiting for the front sight. However, the other day the website showed both front and rear sights in stock, so I ordered the front sight. We will see how long it takes to arrive.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-oh View Post
    Well the site had them as unavailable when I looked last week. I'm going to stick to the Troy's first with an "AR" setup, as I'm not tied to SIG 55x feel yet.

If the Troy's with a riser on the CTR blow, I will probably move to something like the Auroras.

Feedback Score
    Well the site had them as unavailable when I looked last week. I'm going to stick to the Troy's first with an "AR" setup, as I'm not tied to SIG 55x feel yet.

If the Troy's with a riser on the CTR blow, I will probably move to something like the Auroras.
    Even with the riser to address cheek weld you might need to bottom out the front sight post to zero at 50 yards
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    You really might want to consider this one.

There are advantages to mounting the sight in the original location over mounting on the rail. The gas block has zero movement and gets the sight a little further forward. Plus how is it going to look with nothing on top of the gas block. I wasn't keeping my hopes too high when I ordered it as I had never seen one in person, I was really surprised at the quality. I was very happy once I installed it. It has a smaller footprint than the Samson and looks less out of place. MAtches up with any standard AR rear sight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast