Thread: Would you spend $2,000 for a used FN SPR A3G?

Feedback Score

Would you spend $2,000 for a used FN SPR A3G?

Hi, I have the opporunity to buy a FN SPR A3G for $2,000 (possibly $1,900 of I play my cards right). Looks to be in really good condition, origianl owner says its has ruffly 350 rounds down the pipe, all gold medal match, and cleaned after each outing.

My questions:
    1. for $2,000 is it a good buy(based off above info)?
    2. It was built at the Fredricksburg plant, where it seems that they had some QC issues on their SPR's after they closed the New Haven Plant. They are now being built starting this spring at their military South Carolina plant. Should I stay away from a Fredricksburg rifle or dont worry about it?
    3. Should I save myself $500 and just buy the A1?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by C'yotecaller View Post
    Hi, I have the opporunity to buy a FN SPR A3G for $2,000 (possibly $1,900 of I play my cards right). Looks to be in really good condition, origianl owner says its has ruffly 350 rounds down the pipe, all gold medal match, and cleaned after each outing.

My questions:
    1. for $2,000 is it a good buy(based off above info)?
    2. It was built at the Fredricksburg plant, where it seems that they had some QC issues on their SPR's after they closed the New Haven Plant. They are now being built starting this spring at their military South Carolina plant. Should I stay away from a Fredricksburg rifle or dont worry about it?

3. Should I save myself $500 and just buy the A1?
    I would purchase it under one condition: inspect the bore. Some have had chrome delamination issues. It should be covered under warranty, however. It's one helluva rifle.

Feedback Score
    only problem is I am in nevada, rifles back east. So it would be shipped to me. Of the people that have had that problem FN has fixed the rifles by replacing the barrel or the entire rifle outright that I have heard. So I'm not to worried.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C'yotecaller View Post
    only problem is I am in nevada, rifles back east. So it would be shipped to me. Of the people that have had that problem FN has fixed the rifles by replacing the barrel or the entire rifle outright that I have heard. So I'm not to worried.
    I'd take a chance. If the barrel isn't what you want it to be you could also send it to George (G.A. Precision) for a chromoly barrel and have that barrel nitrocarburized prior to install and it would be at least as good as a properly chrome-lined chromoly barrel that it comes with.

You're correct that FNH USA will stand by the rifle, too.

Feedback Score
    My personal opinion is $2000 is a lot for any factory rifle built on a Rem / Win action. If you are not happy with a factory precision rifle like a Rem 700P then you should make the jump to high end factory like a Sako TRG-22 / AI or custom ( Surgeon / Nesika / Stiller etc action )

Having wasted lots of money going from factory ( Rem 700P , Tikka Tactical , .....wicked accurate, great adjustable trigger but mags / stock not the best. )

Then I went factory action custom phase Win 70 w/ Pac Nor barrel

Then I finally bit the bullet and bought a TRG-22. You may not want to spend the extra $700 over this used FN but if you do , you will not be disappointed. I just bought a AI AEII ....I actually prefer the TRG-22 !! Save your pennies until you have the extra $$

There is nothing you can do with a Win 70 action ( even the great Dakota copy ) to make it as nice as a TRG-22 / AI

Feedback Score
    we have shot the FN SPR in competition and they shoot very well. We run the A1 version and have no had any issues with 1000 yards

IMHO unless you like the A3G stock, i would get an A1 and get the CDI bottem metal and bedded, you will have all the features of the A3G as well as the ability to use AICS 10 round mags. which is the only really short coming of this rifle