Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steyr Rifles

Feedback Score

Steyr Rifles

Anyone here have any experience with Steyr Rifles. I am thinking about one to start shooting long range with. Either the Elite or the SSG04A1. Any opinions or input is welcomed.

Feedback Score
    My department has an SSG 69 in the armory which we shoot. It was utilized as a sniper rifle for a few years however it just sits collecting dust now. The snipers prefer the Remington rifles I believe. It is quite accurate. The only problem I'm aware of is the bolt handle is a plastic knob that screws onto the bolt and it is broken. It seems like a cheap design. Otherwise an excellent weapon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A colleague had an SSG (NFI) that I used to shoot from time to time, until his departure. It was really boring. He shot ragged hole after ragged hole. Me, a bit less ragged but respectable. No drama.

Should've bought it when it was offered.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score

I have a ~1998 .308 ProHunter

It is a tack driver (sub MOA (1/2")) and great value!

SSG's I hear are wonderful as well...Steyr makes some great rifle barrels.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input, I've been looking at the SSG 04A1 and hope to pick it up sometime next year.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Styer

I have one of the very first SSG-P1 rifles imported into country, pre Gun South and it still shoots sub MOA. Bought a case of Palma 155gr left over from the Australian
    Palma Match and had opportunity to shoot on AZ Army NG KD range this last summer, had no problem w/silhouette targets to 800 meters where the electronic
    targets end. And that is with a Khales ZF-69, 6 power scope, nothing fancy just good
    center of mass hits.

Feedback Score
    Steyr knows how to build a very accurate and reliable bolt gun. They are a great "out of the box" option that deliver great results and are cheaper than AI AWs and Sako TRGs. Go with a single trigger PII model.

The only downside to the Steyr is getting it rebarreled. If you plan on putting 8K rounds through this rifle go with the PIV since its not press fit.

SCL

Feedback Score
    I really enjoy the Scout... know it's not what you were looking at but it just handles really nice and is so darn purty . I'm still an Ai guy but after playing with my buddy's Steyrs I am seriously considering a couple.

-Goober

Feedback Score
    Seems like my 1st post here...

Anyway, I bought a SSG04A1 last month and i shot a 5 shot group of 13.5mm (measured from center to center of hits) with cheapo military suprlus ammo at 110 yards. The whole group could be covered with a 5 EURO-Cent coin and measured 21mm at the outline.

This was out of the box, no changes made, just mounted and zeroed a Leupold Mark4 scope. Position was prone from the bipod, the buttstock supported by the left hand.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Revierler View Post
    Seems like my 1st post here...

Anyway, I bought a SSG04A1 last month and i shot a 5 shot group of 13.5mm (measured from center to center of hits) with cheapo military suprlus ammo at 110 yards. The whole group could be covered with a 5 EURO-Cent coin and measured 21mm at the outline.

This was out of the box, no changes made, just mounted and zeroed a Leupold Mark4 scope. Position was prone from the bipod, the buttstock supported by the left hand.
    Your results are typical - sub 1/2 MOA. Congrats on the nice machine! Now you have to name her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast