Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matching Magpul FDE with rattlecans, it CAN be done!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Matching Magpul FDE with rattlecans, it CAN be done!

Not long ago I put together a 300 BLK using a PSA complete lower with Magpul FDE furniture and a Mas Defense complete upper with a YHM 12" free float tube handguard. Since my Colt M-4 has full FDE furniture I wanted to match the 300 to it. The free float tube was flat black so I started researching what my options were as far as painting it to match the stock and grip. After plowing thru the posts on several forums I found that some people felt that Alumahide Coyote matched, others felt Alumahide Dark Earth was a better match. The general concensus among just about everyone was that Duracoat and Cerakote were both far off from truly matching Magpul's FDE. Then I found this post, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=172592 and it started my brain gears turning. I gave it a shot and here are the results.

The YHM tube started out looking like this:
    Attachment 25344

After an extensive ventilation job adding holes to it and the new paint job it looks like this:
    Attachment 25345

Once I had all the holes drilled and their inner edges smoothed off I painted the entire tube with flat black high temp(1200*) grill paint, let it cure, then gave it the rattlecan FDE paint job. Just as the OP in the post I cited said, Rustoleum Dark Taupe combined with Rustoleum Oregano will match Magpul FDE if you pay careful attention to what you are doing. I warmed both the paint cans and the tube prior to painting and the tube was dry to touch in 10 minutes and fully cured to not a bit sticky in 2 days. At this point I couldn't be happier with my el cheapo FDE match.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hows it shoot?
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    That is very nice looking work. It is one-of-a-kind, but it is subtle. I really like it.
    "We must surrender our attachments to government in every aspect of life. This goes for the right and the left. We need to give up our dependencies on the state, materially and spiritually. We should not look to the state to provide for us financially or psychologically.... Let us understand that it is far better to live in an imperfect world than it is to live in a despotic world ruled by people who lord over us through force and intimidation. - Dr. Ron Paul

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Very inovative and it looks good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    Hows it shoot?
    I'm still getting it broken in but at 100 yards using 110gr Varmageddons, over 19gr of Lilgun in my hand loads it will put 10 shots inside a 1 1/2" diameter circle out of a 1:8 twist gov't profile barrel.

Feedback Score
    Nice job. I would be interested to see how well the Rustoleum holds up after some heat and heavy use.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Cerakote has multiple Dark Earth Colors. I can assure you that the color they have called "Magpul FDE" is a perfect match.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    FYI they make spray paint mixing caps for mixing can to can:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thats kinda Gay, in a spray paint mixing kinda way.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscenejesster View Post
    Cerakote has multiple Dark Earth Colors. I can assure you that the color they have called "Magpul FDE" is a perfect match.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    It might be a perfect match or it might not. The final "color" of Cerakote depends on the ratio of hardener to paint.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast