Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reminton 700 5R or 700P

Feedback Score
    Snake,

For a precision rifle, go to Triple G Gunsmithing in Stephenville. That's all he does & he does it very well.

Feedback Score
    What's the purpose of cutting the barrel down to 18"?

Feedback Score
    Now that's a real good question!! ( Probably because some 'ninjas' did it.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pstrauss View Post
    What's the purpose of cutting the barrel down to 18"?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Now that's a real good question!! ( Probably because some 'ninjas' did it.)
    This article has generated a lot of buzz on 18" .308 barrels: http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well my wife went thru the same decision process when I was home for Christmas. She bought me a new 700P . After much looking, her asking me loads of questions, and pacing the floor at the gun shop she took the leap.

The 700P now has a Williams floorplate, a tuned trigger, Leupold Mk4 base & rings, sets in a box awaiting glass and me to be back home again.

As far as the short barrels, not for me. Lots of talk about it over on The Hide. I had a chance to handle a new GAP Rock when home and believe that had a 22" tube on it, I think I could live with that. It was well balanced and very nice!

Merry Christmas.

After a good cleaning.
    Last edited by KACSR15; 01-28-09 at 07:11. Reason: added short barrel comment

Feedback Score
    Regarding the 700P, at what distance/range is the 20" barrel "not good 'nuff" and you'd have to step up to the 26" barrel?

n/m, found my answer in the above posted article....
    Last edited by 96GTS; 01-26-09 at 16:32.

Feedback Score
    With your experience and all the 700P is the way to go.It will be plenty of accurate for you.As for cutting it down...DON"T. save your money,buy some bullets and shoot the thing.As you get more experience you will get a better feel for what you need to get as far a accessories.

The ONLY thing the 700p may need is a trigger job.IF you do it get it done by a QUALITY gunsmith.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96GTS View Post
    Regarding the 700P, at what distance/range is the 20" barrel "not good 'nuff" and you'd have to step up to the 26" barrel?

n/m, found my answer in the above posted article....

I'm going to answer anyway...

I have an SPS Tactical (20 inch barrel)...and its great at 800 yards, good at 900, and can still make decent hits on man size targets at 1000.

I use 168 grain bullets...Nosler Ballistic Tips (.490 BC), and 168 Amax's (.475 BC)...with 175's it might just make it to 1000 a tad better as long as I could get the MV up to around 2,550 fps, but I don't know....I have not tried yet.

The 168's leave at 2,635 fps with a max load and acceptable accuracy...but they are more accurate at 2,550 fps, which will make it to 800 yards just fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake View Post
    Gents, I need some advice.

I found a pretty sweet deal on Snipershide.com for a REM 700 5R package(Harris BRM-S w/Podloc, Seekins 20 MOA base, Eagle Stock Pack, Storim IM3300 Hardcase, TIS Green M24 sling). I was just wondering if I would be better off getting a 700P and upgrading it with what I want, or go for the 5R. What do you guys think?
    Hi Snake - I bought a 5R last year and love it. It shoots better than I can. On my best day, it did 1/2" @ 100y. It isn't quite as heavy as a 700P, which might be a consideration if you truly intend to hunt with it. Ammo cost was a factor for me, which made .308 an easy choice. The fatter 700p stock was appealing and I like the black look, but neither served a practical purpose for me. So the "mil-spec" is what sold me. Another thought; I was nowhere near scientific about it, but I found that I see 100-150fps more than a friend's 24" 700 with the same ammo.

This site was a big help for me when I was going through that same decision-making process you are: http://www.tobystactical.com/2007/11...r-milspec.html

BTW - this site just posted that Remington will be selling the 5R in .223 and .300WM for 2009.

Hope that helps. Send us an update when you make your decision - MK
    "We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill, 1903.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake View Post
    Gents, I need some advice.

I found a pretty sweet deal on Snipershide.com for a REM 700 5R package(Harris BRM-S w/Podloc, Seekins 20 MOA base, Eagle Stock Pack, Storim IM3300 Hardcase, TIS Green M24 sling). I was just wondering if I would be better off getting a 700P and upgrading it with what I want, or go for the 5R. What do you guys think?
    I received my 5R milspec 3 weeks a go. I have 93 rounds through it to date. With Federal Gold Metal Match 168g I'm averaging between .44" to .65" three and five shot groups. I am not an experienced bolt gun shooter. But it is without a doubt that this gun can shoot. The first three shot group I shot out of this gun was .66" and this was during barrel break in. The first thing I noticed was how easily the first patch was to push through the barrel. Smooth like glass and very little copper fouling. It has only gotten better. A real shooter should be able to shoot this rifle to .25"-.35" easily.

My experience,
    YMMV

Darkop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast