Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are the best platforms for the .40

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JAXM4 View Post
    So are the the Glocks not designed and built as a .40? If not what kind of major issues can this cause? Also are the H&K's worth the extra money compared to Glock and the M&P? I am looking at getting a .40 and .45 along with a 9MM possibly and would like to keep them all on the same platform pretty much.
    The G22 was basically a G17 with a .40 barrel stuffed in it. Over the years Glock has made improvements, but there are still some issues.

It has been covered multiple times on multiple forums, there are more then one agency that has had reliability problems with the G22, usually with a light attached.

For those individuals that haven't had the problems, good for you, I have, and your examples do not make you the Glock Pope, granting absolution to those Glocks and Glock shooters that have.

3 calibres, same type platform, I have an M&P in 9mm,.40 and .45.

Bob

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    So are the the Glocks not designed and built as a .40? If not what kind of major issues can this cause? Also are the H&K's worth the extra money compared to Glock and the M&P? I am looking at getting a .40 and .45 along with a 9MM possibly and would like to keep them all on the same platform pretty much.
    If you're wanting to keep with the same platform, I personally would go M&P. They seem to be working really well, I don't have much experience with the .40 variant though. They all use the same sight cuts and can share the same CTC grips, as well as carry gear for the most part. One thing I like is that they're all available with thumb safeties now.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My Sig 229 has never failed me. I wouldn't recommend it for a concealed carry gun though it is a little bulky.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What are the best platforms for the .40
    3rd Generation Smith & Wessons...

Feedback Score
    Glock was one of the first to make a .40. However, at the time all they really did was bore out a 9mm slide for .40

That was a long time ago though. Glock has made numerous changes to add strength, rigidity and chamber support

Part of the reason I prefer Glock is they just fit my hand really well. I find the design easy to draw with a consistent secure grip, and despite being a "plastic" pistol it mitigates recoil with hotter loads really well.

Try and shoot as many different pistols as you can and see what you like most
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I am not a fan of the .40 round but from the few guns I have shot I would have to say that the H&K USP handled the round the best. I would like to try out the S&W M&P in .40 as the reviews and the gun's ergos are great.
    Last edited by Mark71; 12-28-08 at 00:37.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R Moran View Post
    Its not like the gun knows the difference. I've had G22's w/ light, that I know wouldn't work on the flat range.

Bob

Ok I guess when I say 'I KNOW" that my Glock 23 works in a real world shooting, is because I have been in real world shooting. I know that a gun does not know the difference.

Thanks
    J-

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    S&W M&P would be my first choice as it was designed from the ground up around this caliber.

About the only platform I would say no to would be a Glock in 40 (especially the 22). Why you ask? Because we see them FAIL the most in training classes (especially low light classes with a light attached to the weapon). For those of you that think that G-lock as fixed this issue, you would be mistaken. A PD in KY recently took a shipment of new G22's. They are issued lights for their duty weapons. Over 1/3 of their G22's malfunctioned and the G-lock rep had to come out to address the situation.

Before everyone and their brother tells me that their G-lock in 40 runs fantastic, I would first say that my above issues do NOT affect all G-lock's in 40.

For those of you that believe your G-lock in 40 is perfect, I would suggest taking a 3 day night shooting school with it and attach a metal flashlight to it (SF X300, SL TLR-1) . This will tell you a lot about your pistols reliability.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R Moran View Post
    The G22 was basically a G17 with a .40 barrel stuffed in it. Over the years Glock has made improvements, but there are still some issues.

It has been covered multiple times on multiple forums, there are more then one agency that has had reliability problems with the G22, usually with a light attached.

For those individuals that haven't had the problems, good for you, I have, and your examples do not make you the Glock Pope, granting absolution to those Glocks and Glock shooters that have.

3 calibres, same type platform, I have an M&P in 9mm,.40 and .45.

Bob
    Ditto, plus the 9C.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjc155 View Post
    Ok I guess when I say 'I KNOW" that my Glock 23 works in a real world shooting, is because I have been in real world shooting. I know that a gun does not know the difference.

Thanks
    J-
    Whats your point, then? That you were in a real world shooting, and won/survived is great and speaks to you, not the reliability of your gun. I'm pretty sure there was nothing unusual about the environment the real world shooting took place in, that would place more stress on the gun, then good training on the range. I'm not talking about the 50 rounds slow fire, every few months type stuff, either.

Bob

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast