Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The “PRC’s” 7mm vs 300

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Ended up getting a Bergara B14 in 7 Rem Mag as my base point. Watching the Tube of You, lots of comparisons between 7 RemMag and 300WM. Whille 300 WM does have aslight edge of 7RemMag, it wasn't enough of a difference for what I want this rifle to do.

Ended up going 7 RemMag for the simple fact that once 7PRC stuff is more available, I can rebarrel to 7PRC and I'll already have 7mm reloading components, just need brass and maybe different powder, but I'll at least have 7mm projectiles.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    Ended up getting a Bergara B14 in 7 Rem Mag as my base point. Watching the Tube of You, lots of comparisons between 7 RemMag and 300WM. Whille 300 WM does have aslight edge of 7RemMag, it wasn't enough of a difference for what I want this rifle to do.

Ended up going 7 RemMag for the simple fact that once 7PRC stuff is more available, I can rebarrel to 7PRC and I'll already have 7mm reloading components, just need brass and maybe different powder, but I'll at least have 7mm projectiles.
    Makes sense. Although finding ammo for the PRC isn't difficult. I already have 200 rds. I've seen dies out also. I have 200 pieces of Peterson Brass on back order with Unknown Munitions. I'm just starting to set up my reloading bench so I'm not in a major hurry.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Nothing wrong with 7 Mag. We shot it for a bit, but for simplicity, went all in on 300WM. Make sure to get that Larry Willis Belted Mag die if you want to get lots of loads out of your brass.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I took my 7PRC out to the range last weekend and put 40 rounds of factory Hornady 175gr ELDX down the barrel. I sighted in at 100 yards and my first 3rd group came in at just under 1/2". I think fired 3 more 3 round groups and they all came in between .75 and .5" Not too bad for factory ammo. I then put on my MagnetoSpeed Chrono to see what the velocity came in at and fired 10 rounds. Avg velocity came in at 2896 with a high of 2913 and a low of 2837. Surprisingly my POI didn't change with the MagnetoSpeed on the barrel. That 10 shot group came in at .787". I didn't do any special cleaning routines or spend much time in between shots. I fired 20 rounds in about 45 minutes. I packed everything up and went next door to the 600 yard range. I took my average velocity and ran the numbers through Hornady's online ballistic calculator. Quick and easy. I set up and starting shooting steel gongs at 200, 250, 300 .... out to 600. Didn't miss a shot and all were center hits. I put the last 10 rounds on the 600 yard gong. This was about the easiest shooting I've ever done. Really like this rifle and cartridge so far. Recoil isn't bad especially since I've got a muzzlebrake on it. I hate recoil. I even have a muzzlebrake on my 6.5PRC.

I have a range about an hour away that has a 1 mile unknown distance range on site and I really want to head out there to stretch this out. Hopefully I get to do so soon.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Duplicate post

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I took my 7PRC out to the range last weekend and put 40 rounds of factory Hornady 175gr ELDX down the barrel. I sighted in at 100 yards and my first 3rd group came in at just under 1/2". I think fired 3 more 3 round groups and they all came in between .75 and .5" Not too bad for factory ammo. I then put on my MagnetoSpeed Chrono to see what the velocity came in at and fired 10 rounds. Avg velocity came in at 2896 with a high of 2913 and a low of 2837. Surprisingly my POI didn't change with the MagnetoSpeed on the barrel. That 10 shot group came in at .787". I didn't do any special cleaning routines or spend much time in between shots. I fired 20 rounds in about 45 minutes. I packed everything up and went next door to the 600 yard range. I took my average velocity and ran the numbers through Hornady's online ballistic calculator. Quick and easy. I set up and starting shooting steel gongs at 200, 250, 300 .... out to 600. Didn't miss a shot and all were center hits. I put the last 10 rounds on the 600 yard gong. This was about the easiest shooting I've ever done. Really like this rifle and cartridge so far. Recoil isn't bad especially since I've got a muzzlebrake on it. I hate recoil. I even have a muzzlebrake on my 6.5PRC.

I have a range about an hour away that has a 1 mile unknown distance range on site and I really want to head out there to stretch this out. Hopefully I get to do so soon.
    Awesome, and glad it shoots great. Factory ammo has come a long way. When i started competing in the PRS a decade ago, there really wasn't much factory ammo for any caliber that would consistently shoot sub-moa, let alone .5. We all handloaded anyway, but now, with the introduction of Hornady Match and other precision factory ammo, you can get very good accuracy without handloading (although the SD still isn't anywhere near handload consistency with factory ammo).

I still shoot 6mm for all my match and steel shooting but run a 300PRC for hunting (7PRC wasn't out yet when i switched). I want to stretch my 300 out to a mile as well as soon as the snow melts here.

Feedback Score

What is the rifle, custom build?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    What is the rifle, custom build?
    This rifle is made by Alamo Precision Rifles. It is their Maverick rifle. Its built on a Defiance Tenacity action with a Brux barrel and an AG Composites stock. I originally bought this rifle from them as a 6.5PRc and had it re-barreled to a 7PRC.

Feedback Score
    This rifle is made by Alamo Precision Rifles. It is their Maverick rifle. Its built on a Defiance Tenacity action with a Brux barrel and an AG Composites stock. I originally bought this rifle from them as a 6.5PRc and had it re-barreled to a 7PRC.
    Thanks, you did 6.5prc in a long action?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Thanks, you did 6.5prc in a long action?
    Yes. However, I later on built another 6.5 PRC on a Defiance Ruckus XM action with a Proof pre-fit barrel, APA Little Bastard brake and a Trigger Tech Special trigger. I sent that to Alamo and had them bed it in a AG Composites Altitude stock. I didn't need 2 6.5PRC's and when 7PRC came out I decided to get my Maverick re-barreled since it was a long action and and easy barrel swap.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast