Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HK, GLOCK, 1911, or SIG?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1fabweld View Post
    I don't know what it is about the M&P that doesn't do it for me, but it doesn't.

Are you interested in how it looks or how it performs. If looks are what you are after the Kimber Series 2's will fill the bill quite nicely however unless you are prepared to spend big bucks in getting a proper 1911 stick with what works reliably. Series 1 Kimbers however work very well in my experience.

IMHO the Para's are a waste unless you want to replace most internal parts. Even then its a crap shoot. If you like the feel of the 1911 try to shoot a M&P45; they feel similar.

Feedback Score
    Another SoCal here, and feeling much deprived about the lack of HK45. Oh well...

Of the options you listed, I think I'd pick the USP. Accurate, durable, highly reliable, and modular so you can have an armorer mod it to suit you. Or, find a CPO SIG P220. Lots of folks discount them for poor QC, and while that might be true (or not) of newer guns, there are still lots of older folded guns around.

Feedback Score
    I know a guy in SoCal with an HK45 but I think he owned it when he moved there.

As to the Sig CPO's there was quite an uproar on the Sig forum not long ago about the CPO's having some kind of crappy refinish job that peeled. Don't know if that has been fixed but until Sig gets their shit together and stops taking advantage of their name with cheaper parts and inferior QC and CS I would avoid any product from them. I guess they are unaware that it takes years to establish a good reputation, no time at all to lose it, and a really long time to gain it back. But whoever hired Cohen from Kimber must have known what he was going to do and been OK with it. I wonder if they are feeling any repercussions from the buying public and LEO yet?

Feedback Score
    WOW! I'm blown away with how different the info I've received locally from the gun shops is to what I read here! I'm glad I posted! It looks from the options I listed the HK is the only one that gets a half decent review here. The reason I have not considered the M&P is that I personally don't know anyone who owns one to hear any first hand experience either good or bad. I was at the range a few months ago fumbling with my Para which was giving me a hard time & some guy pulls up next to me with a Glock 45 & starts ripping away his target. He talked about how his Glock would eat anything along with being reliable. I almost threw my Para at the target after half the Winchester rounds I attempted to fire failed to feed. LOL! I then bought a box of realoads from the range shop & it fed them flawlessly. I like the idea of 10 rounds in a 45 combined with a 1911 frame which is why I bought the Para's in the 1st place. Are there any tricks to get my Para's to feed more reliably? I have an XD40 which performs well & I kicked around the idea of an XD45.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I shot an XD 45 tactical once and it was one of the softest shooting 45's I've EVER shot. The gun is also extremely accurate.

I also miss my Glock 30SF, very accurate and soft shooting.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Rest in Peace - Chuck Petrie

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    WOW! I'm blown away with how different the info I've received locally from the gun shops is to what I read here! I'm glad I posted! It looks from the options I listed the HK is the only one that gets a half decent review here. The reason I have not considered the M&P is that I personally don't know anyone who owns one to hear any first hand experience either good or bad. I was at the range a few months ago fumbling with my Para which was giving me a hard time & some guy pulls up next to me with a Glock 45 & starts ripping away his target. He talked about how his Glock would eat anything along with being reliable. I almost threw my Para at the target after half the Winchester rounds I attempted to fire failed to feed. LOL! I then bought a box of reloads from the range shop & it fed them flawlessly. I like the idea of 10 rounds in a 45 combined with a 1911 frame which is why I bought the Para's in the 1st place. Are there any tricks to get my Para's to feed more reliably? I have an XD40 which performs well & I kicked around the idea of an XD45.
    Be careful of what you hear at gun shops/shows/ranges, as you rarely get the truth. Don't believe anything you hear, and only 1/2 of what you see.

There are plenty of recognized SME on this site and a few others(10-8 & Lightfighter) who have plenty of real world knowledge to share. Plenty of just all around good guys, also, who just want to share their experiences.

Do a search here and 10-8 and you'll find some good and recent info regarding the HK's and M&P 45.

I've got a M&P45(and a 9 and 40). It has a heavy trigger, but smooth and manageable. Its "accurate" and I shoot it as good as my custom 1911's, getting a comment about it from LAV in one of his classes. The triggers are reported to be better, but for $125, the performance center will put in a pro sear, and some other work, and your good to go.

How do you get a Para to work better, sell it. Honestly, most serious users don't recommend Para's. Again, check out Yams articles at 10-8performance.

Bob

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HK45 View Post
    But whoever hired Cohen from Kimber must have known what he was going to do and been OK with it.
    OK with it and appreciative, apparently. Cohen was put in charge of SIG worldwide (Switzerland, Germany, US) a few months back.

The reason I have not considered the M&P is that I personally don't know anyone who owns one to hear any first hand experience either good or bad.
    There is plenty of info here, at mp-pistol.com, and elsewhere on the web to help you form an objective evaluation of the gun's strengths and weaknesses. To be honest, the experience of 1,000 strangers might be more valuable to you than the experience of one acquaintance.

Are there rental ranges in your area where you could actually try the guns side by side to see which one works best for you?

I like the idea of 10 rounds in a 45 combined with a 1911 frame which is why I bought the Para's in the 1st place. Are there any tricks to get my Para's to feed more reliably?
    Yes. Sell it, take that money and invest it towards a SA Pro, Bear TRS, or similar along with some quality 10rd magazines. Better yet, accept that for a 1911-pattern gun you're better off with 8rd magazines.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I would second the Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. I have two Baers, including the TRS, and love them.

I was able to try a M&P 45 this summer and liked everything but the trigger. What can I say, I like a good trigger and the 1911 spoils me.

There are those out there that like their series II Kimbers and quite a few that don't. It seems that they are hit and miss, kinda like Para Ordnance.

Check out the Dan Wesson Valor while you are at it. Impressively tight and accurate, not sure on reliablity but if it is like my Classic Bobtail then I would get one.

Feedback Score
    I don't have a range near me that rents a variety of guns to be able to shoot what you like. I have to do it the hard way like alot of us do. My budget won't allow me to go over $1k so the high end 1911's are out. Thank you guys very much so far for the suggestions. Keep em coming!

Feedback Score
    Glock

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast