Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EMCOMM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Long term grid down. What does GMRS give you that a cell phone doesn't?
    The burden of providing the capability gap is on you my friend. Please continue.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    GMRS without repeaters is short range comms, lose internet, cell, tv and radio without ham you are totally cut off. I think at the very least it's a good idea to have a good short wave receiver.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 11-20-23 at 19:19.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    GMRS without repeaters is short range comms, lose internet, cell, tv and radio without ham you are totally cut off. I think at the very least it's a good idea to have a good short wave receiver.
    That's a fair assessment. I also think the digital component of HAM is desirable in that kind of scenario. I am blessed to live in a state with geography that allows for excellent repeater range and smart guys who run them. Mountain peaks at 10,000 feet with vast valleys. We commonly have repeater nets where we talk from the wasatch front to Idaho. The solution doesn't have to be binary. For regional comms the ease of use aspect for the common man makes GMRS a pragmatic piece of handout gear. But I'm also glad to have my Elmer neighbors even if that part of the hobby isn't for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12