Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt 7.62x39 AR15 available again CR6762

Feedback Score
    Given the short distance that the spent cases are ejecting, I think that a heavier buffer would likely result in the rifle short stroking. While the recoil is noticeably more than 5.56x45 AR15's, it's not to the point that it's bothersome. I have a couple of other 7.62x39 AR15's. I'll have to compare them and see if there is a difference.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Never shot the Geco. I heard it was weak. Better in an AK. PPU I read was better.

Feedback Score
    Based simply on the ejection distance of the spent cases, the Geco is weaker than most steel cased 7.62x39.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I used to have a Vepr and now own a Sig 556R. Recoil is definitely a bit more than 5.56, but feels spread over a longer period - more of a push. I find 7.62x39 satisfying to shoot. And arguably it's a more effective round at more realistic combat distances, limited to ball.

As to ammo, I've never shot any Geco, but I've been through a few cases of Tula/Wolf, Barnaul, Ulyanovsk, Golden Tiger, and Yugo. Have also run through a few rounds of PPU. The Yugo and PPU definitely felt the hottest, with GT and Barnaul following up, and the others behind that. I'm not sure if my subjective opinion lines up with actual chrony tests though, but I imagine it does.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I didn't have much time today, but I was able to put a few rounds through my new Colt 7.62x39 AR15. All of the ammunition I shot had copper jacketed bullets, not bimetal bullets.

I think it is way cool. I am thinking about it. My CMMG Banshee probably is GTG, and a solid build with the beefed up BCG, but all these AK mag ARs are mag picky, with the best bet being Magpul - becuase the feed lips on the MP is a tad longer.
    I also used to think these x39 ARs looked stupid with the x39 AR mags, but its wearing on me and MAKES SENSE to some degree. The rounds at the top are quite controlled on the way in and made to feed the way the AR BCG runs.

The AK mag ARs don't operate the same way, and it took some time to make them run - AK mags are a different animal and they can wobble and run in an AK, but not an AR. Thus, most of these manufacturers built their gund around the Magpul mags and this was smart. My Banshee seems to be OK with Chinese also, and cheap bulgies, but again - watch the Klayco video when he couldnot run a PSA AR AK in the PRONE POSITION - of course he SHOULD have been using MP mags, but you get the point.

ARs are just not mag tolerant. IN the AR types though it seems that the C Products have become the gold standard and they are reliable now.

I am considering this gun and a few others with AR style mags. How accurate is this version?

Is it really 1/12” twist???
    Last edited by m4brian; 03-31-24 at 19:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    I also used to think these x39 ARs looked stupid with the x39 AR mags, but it’s wearing on me and MAKES SENSE to some degree.
    Note the RZE Unimag in the picture. It’s the one on the right that has the same profile as a regular 5.56x45 magazine. They hold 25rds of 7.62x39 and run reliably.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is it actually 1/12 twist? (that is sloooowwww).

Does it run 100% with C products mags also?

How is accuracy?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I don’t know about the twist. Does Colt mark it on the barrel? If not, I can measure it using a cleaning rod when I get back home.

I don’t know how it runs with CProducts magazines. I’ve only tried ASC, D&H and RZE.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I’ve seen pics of this model marked 1/12 on the barrel. But verification would be helpful.

So 100% with all those other mags is a good sign.

Of course accuracy is one of the main draws to a x39 AR.

Thanks.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast