Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M&P45c vs. HK45c range report

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HK45 View Post
    i wasn't actually referring to your comment. I got what you were saying. I was referring to Littlelebowski.
    Ahh, nevermind then .

I feel like for all the money that a serious shooter is going to put into his/her primary self defense pistol (holsters, mags, ammo, training, range memberships, etc), the last thing that should cause you to compromise on what handgun you get is a $200 difference. Pick what fits you best and what you are most comfortable with regardless of the price. Obviously, there is going to be a limit somewhere on what gets too expensive, but if we're talking about the difference between an H&K and an M&P, the difference is less than a case of ammo. It's a little different for the casual shooter that puts a couple mags through the gun a year if that. Then a $200-300 difference looks a lot bigger.

Feedback Score
    True. By the time I add decent sights to a Glock, extended slide stop, some trigger work, butt plug, Vickers mag release I've raised my cost by a significant amount. I do a trigger job and better sights on an M&P and nothing on HK45/c. I like those big blocky sights just the way they are and am fine with the factory single action trigger.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Well, that's his opinion...I disagree..I've got a HK USP 9mm and a M&P45 and I'm having trouble with the M&P..I had the sights changed by Grant to some Heinie straight 8's and I'm having a hard time hitting anything beyond about 15yds,(IMO this should be no problem with a .45 at this range)I've been shooting at pop cans, and once past about 15yds, hitting them is iffy. I've been using my loads which work very well in my Kimber, S.A. Milspec, Sig P-220, in the M&P I'm shooting low...I'm kinda dissapointed with it. I'm not sure if it's the sights or me or the M&P, Recoil is harsh as well,(load is 4.2gr titegroup, with a 200gr LSWC, OAL 1.250.and some 230gr LRN's with another load I can't recall right off the top of my head..) At this point I'm not very happy with it, and If I can't get it to shoot to point of aim beyond 15yds, it's going down the road like my XD45 did, and this will be another pistol I'll cross off and put on my don't buy list....it's not living up to the hype...At least my USP shoots well beyond 15yds, and usually hits what I point it at..
    None of your issues with your M&P are attributable to how well it is made and how durable it is.

They are all attributable to the sights and/or your subjective opinions of how it shoots.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    None of your issues with your M&P are attributable to how well it is made and how durable it is.

They are all attributable to the sights and/or your subjective opinions of how it shoots.
    As far as quality of build and how durable the M&P's are only time will tell, You're right, I never implied they have problems with build quality or durabilty. I'm aware of the possible sight problem, and intend to test by setting up a target at 15 measured yds, and shoot from a bench using several types of ammo including factory. My goal is to see if it does shoot low like I suspect, and exactly how low it does shoot. Then, I'll contact Grant, and see if Heinie makes lower /taller front/rear sights to correct... I am, however, not crazy about the trigger, (Although it has improved considerably since I first bought it.) and I'm really not thrilled with the recoil either, My 1911's have spoiled me in that dept... I'm not giving up on it just yet.. it is frustrating...
    Last edited by ralph; 12-30-08 at 19:00.

Feedback Score
    I looked at a 9mm LEM P2000 today and loved it. 3 mags, night sights for $799.00 The only thing that stopped me from buying it on the spot was those tiny little mag release buttons. I have big hands and fingers and trying to punch that button sucked compared to the Hk45/c/P30.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    After owning and shooting the M&P45 (full size) and HK45C, I prefer the HK. It fits my hand a little better, and although the M&P is in all likelihood well engineered, the USP type design has many more successful miles on it. Recoil seems about the same for both pistols. I know that the standard M&P is about .5 inches longer than the HK45C, but otherwise dimensionally they're very similar.

For me it was worth the extra money. Good handgun fit has always been important to me.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    if I had to choose it would be HK as well. Reeks of quality. The nice thing about the 45c is that you can get some 10 round mags and you've got two pistols, one for carry and one for everything else. i carry with the 8 round mag and my spare in a mag pouch is the 10 round.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I looked at a 9mm LEM P2000 today and loved it. 3 mags, night sights for $799.00 The only thing that stopped me from buying it on the spot was those tiny little mag release buttons. I have big hands and fingers and trying to punch that button sucked compared to the Hk45/c/P30.
    It's funny you say that because I ended up ordering a P2k 9mm LEM last week from Clyde's Armory. I do struggle a little more with the mag release on the P2k than the 45c, but I really like the feel and balance of this gun more than the 45c. The slide is lighter and feels much less top heavy, and the grip fits my hand a little better than the 45c. I'm going to try to fit the 45c's mag release lever on the P2k, and if it works I will try to order a spare one from H&K to use on the P2k.

The p2k is also fits a fullsize light and fits in the VM2 holster that I have for the 45c. I am going to hang onto both and most likely will have the 45c converted to LEM as well. I am really starting to like this trigger system.

One issue on the p2k is it has a longer trigger reset than the 45c. It's closer to a sig reset without the SRT. It's not that bad though just a little different than what i'm used to. I can still shoot, reset, and have the trigger staged for 2nd shot before recovering from recoil.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    So the pop psychology assumption is that HK $$ equal kool-aid drinkers? Good luck with that.
    Since you say you were referring to me, my comment did not mention "HK kool-aid drinkers" once. Methinks you're just a bit sensitive about that. I was referring to the high cost of the HKs. To sum up, I don't think the HKs are worth that much more than other pistol; I think their higher cost is just as laughable as their "night sights" you have to charge up with ambient light or a flashlight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Since you say you were referring to me, my comment did not mention "HK kool-aid drinkers" once. Methinks you're just a bit sensitive about that. I was referring to the high cost of the HKs. To sum up, I don't think the HKs are worth that much more than other pistol; I think their higher cost is just as laughable as their "night sights" you have to charge up with ambient light or a flashlight.
    I agree with you about the night sights..But, that's not HK's fault. The German gov't forbids the use of radioactive isotopes in items being sold to the public...So, that's why the glow in the dark sights..The USP I recently bought came with Meprolight night sights installed, By Hk here,in the U.S. As far as the higher cost..well, you get what you pay for, look at the frame on a M&P, notice at the front of the frame by the muzzel, it drops away from the slide..This is a common defect on M&P's look at a HK..they don't have that..and if you're up to some reading go over to the M&P forums and there they have a entire forum devoted to fixing problems people are having with theit M&P's Shooting low, wrong front sight height, front sight not centered from factory, repeated breaking of strikers, on and on, now got to a HK forum and see how many problems they're having...not nearly as many.....again this is the difference between a $450-550 handgun and a $750-850 handgun, you're paying for the quality. With my HK, I was able to clean it up, go to the range and load it and immediately start hitting just about anything I pointed it at,Up until then, I had never shot a HK pistol..With my M&P, I'm still trying to overcome my shooting low/left with it.. Laughable?? I don't think it's funny...S&W has got a potential winner on their hands here if they don't screw it up, putting a decent trigger on them from the factory would be very easy to do, and probably a good place to start... Something else myHK didn't need....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast