Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk SERPA Holsters?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Mine has been good so far, picked it up dirt cheap ($15 for the carbon fiber xd model off of EE on TOS). When I carry OWB it's what I use. When I carry IWB I use a crossbreed supertuck.

I know there were some issues with the latch design on the first generation models that allowed debris/rocks/dirt under the latch and were potentially hazardous based on the leveler's location.

The third gen (current) seems to have overcome that with better engineering...or so I have heard. I've taken mine down on the ground with me a couple times at the range just running basic drills and it hasnt failed...with that said...I carry with the kydex a bit more often as the Mrs. prefers CC to OC.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Fast is good.

Feedback Score
    During my last trip to Iraq, I had both a Safariland thigh holster and a SERPA paddle holster. I wore the Safariland outside the wire. For strolling around the FOB the SERPA was fine, and more comfortable. As noted by someone earlier, the difference is that I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable keeping a round chambered in a 1911 in a SERPA. I own both types or holsters for my personal 1911s too.

SERPA = Light Duty
    Safariland = Switched On

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I bought a Non finger lock version of the Serpa. That was a waste of money. The holsters are trash.

I actually like the uncle mikes kydex paddle holsters if only they didn't crack and break.

I'm running a comp tac kydex which seems to be good. For retention... I agree with everyone else. Safariland.

Feedback Score
    For a lot of us civilians, who may only need a holster to protect the weapon while you're walking through the woods, setting up targets, etc,, the old GI M12 works just fine.

Pros: Cheap, available (sometimes less than $25 on Ebay for a brand new surplus one), decent job of protection and retention.

Cons: Probably NOT the holster to buy if you foresee the need to draw your weapon in a hurry, Nylon construction (which a lot of folks don't like), just too 1980's

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

i've found the serpa to be useful while (legally) open carrying.

not that i do that very often ... but the retention feature is nice to have.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    Explain why not 1911 in a SERPA?
    Last edited by zippygaloo; 01-21-09 at 16:14.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Having to "press" a button at the same position as your trigger (especially on a 1911, which needs virtually no trigger movement to fire) is probably not the best idea. Personally i draw with my trigger finger higher, around the area of the slide stop pin, not at the trigger level.

which leads to my second biggest gripe about a serpa: if you pull up on the pistol, before the button is pressed, you can lock up the retention mechanism. you then need to push the pistol back down into the holster, re-press the button and redraw. you can't guarantee that you have a clean perfect draw when you need your gun.

which leads back to the first argument. your now frantically trying to FORCE the holster to let go of your gun and probably pressing down on that button pretty hard and you finally get the gun out of the holster and you peg yourself in the leg.
    Last edited by theJanitor; 12-29-08 at 15:04.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are so many reputable stories of SERPAs failing to release when they should, being broken right off their mount, and setting people up for NDs that it simply boggles the mind that anyone would consider them a serious holster.

Seriously, you would be MILES ahead with a Galco FLETCH (leather pancake with thumb break) than with that POS.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 12-29-08 at 16:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zippygaloo View Post
    I have a Colt Delta Elite 10mm (Government Model 80) I was planning on putting in my holster. What is the best holster for this gun?
    No one can define the "best holster" for your pistol.

Best for what? All day comfort? Most concealing? Highest level of retention? You need to be most specific.

Frankly, if you are not going to carry openly, and you are just Joe CCW, get a leather IWB holster like a Canute from UBG Holsters, Versa Max II from Milt Sparks, or Dakota Defender from K&D Holsters and a matching leather pancake belt holster from the same maker.

You will have two very comfortable holsters that will retain the gun as well as you will EVER need, will conceal the pistol in any circumstance imaginable, will draw like greased lightning once broken in, and will last a lifetime.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast