Thread: Trijicon RX30 or Aimpoint H-1? Need Input Quick!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Question Trijicon RX30 or Aimpoint H-1? Update w/Pics!

I currently have Trijicon RX30's on my STG-556's. I love the optic for what it offers, very KISS, huge FOV through the optic w/no batteries, electronics, switches or adjustments to worry about. However, it does add about 12oz to the overall weight (which is now nearly 9.5lbs w/a loaded 42rd mag) & its length combined w/the STG's short optics rail means I have to reverse my MI folding front sight so it folds forward instead of back (not a biggie but still a consideration).
    For my needs the only competition is the Aimpoint Micro which w/mount shaves about 1/2lb off the total weight, has great FOV/SA like the RX30 and frees up enough rail space so I can fold the front BUIS back instead of forward. However, it still needs batteries, intensitiy has to be adjusted, etc.
    I've got a shot at a great deal for the H-1 (which should be more than adequately rugged for my civvie needs) w/LaRue mount but I've only got a limited time to act on it.
    So, what say you? RX30 or H-1? Thx!...
    Tomac

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

H-1

Get the H-1. Great sight. Battery is a non-issue, in my estimation.

From Aimpoint: "Over 5 years of continuous (day and night) use at pos 8 of 12" on "One 3 V lithium battery, type CR2032, commercially available".
    Last edited by Submariner; 12-28-08 at 17:10.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    H1 is a good sight for sure. Given what your trying to do with your STG Id say go with the micro AP. But with the Larue mount it might sit a tad high and given that the STGs rail is already raised...? Good luck.
    Familiarity breeds contempt -- and children.

Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LettersFromEarth View Post
    H1 is a good sight for sure. Given what your trying to do with your STG Id say go with the micro AP. But with the Larue mount it might sit a tad high and given that the STGs rail is already raised...? Good luck.
    The RX30 on the STG provides excellent cheekweld for me & 1/3 cowitness w/the MI folding BUIS, same as the Aimpoint M4 w/riser I tried earlier. H1 w/the LaRue tall mount is supposed to provide 1/3 cowitness as well so should be the same height w/the same cheekweld. Guess I'll find out for sure when they arrive!...
    Tomac

Feedback Score
    I have only had one AR the last year and I just picked up a LMT so I picked up a Trijicon RX30. It really is nice.. With Aimpoints battery is not really that big of a issue so I would not worry if it is about that, but after using a EOTech, Aimpoint then the RX30, I went with the RX30. I love it.. I have always liked Trijicon alot. I have a ACOG on my other AR and I wanted somthing more for CQB, my eyes suck and out past 200 yards I cant see much as it is so I wanted a Bigger dot size so the 6.5 MOA dot on the RX30 is very nice and I like the fact you dont have to mess with the Brightness settings when moving room to room with the RX30, they did really good with the lighting on it btw.. I like it alot better then the EOTech I was using. The RX30 also works very good with a Light on your AR.. If you are looking into getting a reddot/reflex type sight, I would look into the RX30. It co-witnesses very well and you never have to turn it on, its always on the ready and the 42mm lens gives you a huge FOV. imo it is a much better built optic then the EOTech and as for Aimpoint, they make good stuff to but I felt the RX30 was a better choice for me. for a 6.5 MOA dot you can really get tight groups at 100 yards and hit the steal out to 300 yards.. but since there is no power to it, I will leave my ACOG (TA31F) for the stuff 100+ yards.. anyway next time you are at your local fun shop check it out.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Post Trijicon RX30 vs Aimpoint Micro

Just got back from the range, my Aimpoint Micros w/LaRue mounts arrived yesterday so today was coarse sight-in day (I say "coarse" because it's friggin' 27F w/15mph+ gusts so wind chill was right around 0F!).
    Anywho, first impressions:
    The Aimpoint/LaRue combos installed quickly & easily, requiring no adjustments to the mounts. I measured sight height-above-bore and the Aimpoints are right at 1/8" higher than the Trijicon RX30's. I still get almost 1/3 cowitness w/my MI folding BUIS using the LaRue LT660 "tall" mount but even though cheekweld is still excellent for me I'm thinking the "medium" mount *might* be a bit better but I don't expect much practical difference for my needs.
    There's about a 1/2lb difference between the Micro & RX30 setups and I can easily feel it (appx 9lbs vs appx 9.5lbs). While FOV through the Micro is smaller (20mm objective vs 42mm objective), SA seems the same and the view through the Micro is absolutely clear w/o the RX30's tint.
    While sighting-in I noticed the big difference in dot size. W/the Micro I could dial it down until barely visible which makes for a small dot for precision aiming yet could also dial it up until it was nearly as big & bright as the RX30's 6.5moa dot.
    Finally, due to the Micro's small footprint there's plenty of room to install the front folding BUIS properly so it folds back instead of forward and the STG's charging handle is now 100% clear so no worries about snagging fingers.
    Tomac
    ETA: There's sufficient room inside the LaRue mount for a couple of spare CR2032 batteries for the Micro.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Thumbs up

Got the new KZ Micro mounts in today, here are my first impressions:
    Pros:
    Appear solid & well-made.
    Wing-nut tightens well (only time will tell if it stays tightened but it's easy to test tightness by hand w/o tools).
    After installation my Micros already appear to be very close to on-target when checked against my MI folding BUIS.
    Price is almost half that of the LaRue.
    Nice & long rail engagement surfaces.
    Doesn't interfere w/manipulating the STG's charging handle.
    Cheekweld *is* improved compared to the taller LaRue mount.
    No instructions needed for installation (duh, this isn't rocket science!...)

Cons:
    No instructions of any kind included w/the mounts!
    Micro-to-mount fit has just the tiniest bit of play, can hardly feel it whereas the LaRue has none.
    Uses the factory Aimpoint bolts whereas the LaRue uses heavier LaRue bolts (however, in all fairness Aimpoint must think their bolts are strong enough, can't think of anything "under-engineered" by Aimpoint...)
    Co-witness w/my MI folding BUIS isn't 100% as claimed, rather it appears to be a true 1/3 (which is still a big improvement over the taller LaRue). Are my MI BUIS lower in height than other BUIS???
    Wingnut for tightening mount is very KISS but I don't know if it will stay tight over time.

Bottom line is that so far this looks to be a good budget alternative to the LaRue, but it is *not* a LaRue!
    I hope to range-test no later than this coming weekend.
    Tomac
    Right-side view:

Left-side view:

Close-up w/raised BUIS:
    Last edited by Tomac; 01-08-09 at 08:09.

Feedback Score
    Range report, went to the range sunday, I did a fast zero at home with my bushnell bore laser and it pretty much was just a few clicks from there.. anyway for me since I have bad eyes I like shooting with the ACOG more then a RD sight since I can see the steal plates and all that but that out of the way. I love the RX30 and you can get some damn good groups with it. but what I noticed most is you hit your target every time with no probs even the steal plates at 200M that I can barley see.. I would say 200m would be MAX range for any red dot sight anyway.. it is very affective at close ranges 3m-50m and you can get good groups at 100 yards but to me its not really about that, but it is nice.. as for picking one.. I would have to say the RX30 over the Aimpoint due to FOV ( I was shooting a buddies AR with a Aimpoint on it and had a chance to compare shot by shot and for me the RX30 was a bit better and alot easyer to pick up even with the Aimpoint on its highest setting.. but I guess that is due to the 6.5MOA dot vs the 4MOA dot.. as for group size from 4moa to 6.5moa no diffence in that at all at 100 yards.. next time I go to the range ill do more prone shooting rather then off hand just so I can get some good groups to post, but what I was getting last sunday where about 3" groups at 100 yards and like I said I was hitting the 8x8 steal plate at 200M every time.. but that is still pushing and not as fun as shooting close range with the thing.. I say try them both out and see what you really like better.. but I did have a few people come up to me and ask about it and try it and they really like the RX30 as well and the fact there is no brightness settings to mess with and nothing really to brake on the RX30, its a very rugged sight much more so then a EoTech and maby the same as a Aimpoint, but its a pretty new sight and time will tell I know alot of people are buying EoTechs due to the tacticool factor but imo I wouldnt want to turst my life on a EoTech with all the bad I hear about them and the short battery life.. its Trijicon or Aimpoint for me..