Thread: Springfield XD -45 (Ramping Issues)

Feedback Score

Springfield XD -45 (Ramping Issues)

I'm surprised at how fussy my springfield XD is in regards to ramping bullets. The gun is only ramping fmj round nose bullets... I shot a friend of mines hollow points and had gun jams, It will also not ramp my dads reloads that were square shouldered wad cutters.

I did not realize my XD would be this sentitive to everything other than standard fmj round nose.

Keep in mind my only experience with 45's is my dads Colt 70 series 1911 and it never had issues ramping bullets....maybe this is normal for this gun? Please help

MY QUESTION: WILL I NEED A NEW BULLET RAMP OR WILL I NEED THE RAMP POLISHED? I NEED MORE FLEXIBILITY IN BULLET CHOIcE FOR SURE!

THANKS!
    Last edited by blktie8; 12-28-08 at 15:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just sold a XD45...They were designed around a round nosed bullet they will usually feed JHP's well again one has to be careful about bullet shape. LSWC's forget it..you will never get the XD to feed LSWC's, you can polish the ramp etc, 99.9% of the XD 45's will not feed LSWC's. go to a round nosed bullet for shooting cast lead... Or sell it like I did mine and look around for something that will feed what you want it to.....
    Last edited by ralph; 12-28-08 at 17:55.

Feedback Score
    Mine feeds 185gr Hydrashocks, and 230gr Golden Sabers and Gold Dots without a problem. Haven't tried lead full or semi wadcutters, as my practice ammo is all 230gr fmj

Not directly pertaining to XD pistols, but I've noticed that .45 ACP pistols seem to be more sensitive to ammo than any other caliber.

Feedback Score
    I also have a XD-45 and it shoots anything I feed it. When I had the XD-45 out the first time it ate commercial 230 gr RN, Handloads Horaday 230 gr RN, 230 gr RN lead, 200 gr SWC lead & 180 gr Hornaday HP/XPT. I ate all of them with no trouble what so ever.

On the 4th magazine I mixed all of the above loads in one magazine AND all went down range as fast as I could pull the trigger.

I also have a Ruger P-345 that is just as reliable.

Both of these pistols I would trust my life with!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I never had problems with my XD feeding it ate everything.but I ended up selling it a while back

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    I've never had any trouble feeding JHP ammunition of any brand or type in my Springfield XD's. I used to own an XD-40, and I still have two XD-45's. All three of them were totally reliable with all ammunition I tried. Even the Speer Gold Dots which have given me feeding problems in a variety of weapoins.