Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Hard Chromed Carry Gun...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

A Hard Chromed Carry Gun...

Sometimes I think we as builders get a bit spoiled... we get to build some really cool tools for what are without a doubt the best customers anywhere. You kind of get used to the routine... “build a gun, send it home... build a gun send it home... build a gun send it home“... you get the picture. It’s not monotonous, not in any way, but rather truly rewarding and it makes for a great daily routine of coming into the shop and working on cool stuff. Sometimes it’s new and different and sometimes not, but either way the “routine” is always challenging, rewarding, and fun.

And then there are those times when your routine is interrupted... when, as you’re boxing the gun up to send it home, you stop and think to yourself ’man, I wish I could keep this one’. The regular “build a gun, send it home” starts to turn into “build a gun, put it in your holster, go to the range”. For me, this was that gun...

But it wasn’t mean to be... after all, this was a gun the customer had waited a good while for. And, in addition to being a great customer, since he is really more like a friend of the shop it wouldn’t seem right taking something from a friend. So off to Florida it went for life as a new carry gun... and it’s probably better this way, I would have just ended up abusing and beating the gun up every chance I got.

Full house is as full house does and this gun was no exception. I was given the basic parameters and desires of the customer and then set free to interpret as I saw fit. A welded fame and slide fit was the order of the day as was a Kart barrel, hand-cut 30lpi checkering front and rear, Wilson beavertail, Legacy Custom main spring housing machined into the frame, complete line straightening, bordered slide, PG rear sight, gold line front sight, ball-cuts, round-butt conversion, rear slide serrations, all the best internals, and a flattened and serrated slide top with a little something different for the slide top serrations, all finished in a durable coating of hard chrome.

Can’t say I would have done allot different if the gun had been meant for me... except for the thumb safety that is. And it seems that when push came to shove that one detail was just enough to justify sending this one home, or at least that‘s what I keep telling myself.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Jason Burton; 12-29-08 at 22:42.

Feedback Score
    Nice
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Feedback Score
    Stunning!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    OK, where do I sign up? I'm ready to sell all of my Wilsons.

Beautiful work, as always, rendered in perhaps the most inspiring medium of all. It simply doesn't get any better.

Chief
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Gorgeous.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I love this detail. I can't stand it when the rear slide serrations extend down past the frame rails, and love the way you stopped them just short but still matched them on the ejector and extractor. Great attention to detail Jason.

Last edited by rob_s; 12-30-08 at 07:05.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That bevelling of the slide in front of the dust cover is impressive. Attention to detail is an understatement.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My GAWD ......I think I jez had me an accidint.......

Feedback Score
    Wow, that's stunning.
    GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real craftsmanship at it's very best,plain and simply put.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast