Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best firearm for interstate road trips?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Best firearm for interstate road trips?

What is the best self-defense firearm for interstate travel by car, not to be concealed or carried, while conforming to the varied laws that exist west of the Mississippi? I am thinking long gun but I am open to something like the Shockwave if there is an argument for it.

Are semi-auto shotguns restricted the way semi-auto rifles are?
    Last edited by Disciple; 06-11-23 at 14:50.
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Best firearm for interstate road trips?

Most states with AWBs have something related to round count with semi-auto shotguns. Usually can’t have detachable magazines or pistol grips… as one point can create an “assault weapon.”

On another forum, I saw a guy talk about getting Shuff to take a Garand and make a Mini-G in .308. Travels to CA regularly, and seems to be ok with the enbloc clip. OAL of a Mini-G is identical to a M1 Carbine.
    Last edited by Screwball; 06-11-23 at 17:02.

Feedback Score
    A shotgun is legal everywhere.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    A shotgun is legal everywhere.
    What about something like a Tac-14?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    What is the best self-defense firearm for interstate travel by car, not to be concealed or carried, while conforming to the varied laws that exist west of the Mississippi? I am thinking long gun but I am open to something like the Shockwave if there is an argument for it.

Are semi-auto shotguns restricted the way semi-auto rifles are?
    If you are traveling through states, you are covered as long as you may legally possess the firearm in the state of departure and the destination state. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...vate-vehicles/

Guns unloaded in a locked case, etc.

Andy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Guns unloaded in a locked case, etc.
    I would like to avoid that in as many jurisdictions as it is legal to do so. I also want to avoid this: "In states with strict gun laws (such as California, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York), it may be a good idea not to stop at all."

I am wondering what is the most effective item that is acceptable in the most number of places. Pump shotgun? Lever-action .44? Spear gun and a wet suit?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think you'll almost need to plan your trip and doublecheck laws and experiences in every state you're passing though. For example, just because you're perfectly legal, doesn't mean travelers experiences in that state haven't been ideal (i.e. NJ, CA, etc.). I would never road-trip through NJ/NY with firearms or parts (in any condition) based on first hand experiences along with what I've have read and heard about. Perfectly "legal" situations resulted in arrest and significant time and money in order to come out on the other side out of legal jeopardy many months or years later.

Firearms are just one of those items where law enforcement encounters are inconsistent and can either ruin a great trip or be a non-incident within the same municipality. They are also situations where clear concise arguments and facts may not stop your arrest to figure things out later. Do your research and take the long way if necessary.

Feedback Score
    You specified West of the Mississippi, I'd say the only states you really have to worry about are the West coast ones, CA, OR, WA. Most of the others are going to be fairly relaxed as long as you are not doing anything stupid. I prefer to travel with a handgun as long as I'm not going into a restricted state. I can keep it in my luggage and take it into a motel with me when I stop. Military style rifles can be problematic in some states and shotguns, while legal, can be awkward.

Feedback Score
    A shotgun is perfect.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I would like to avoid that in as many jurisdictions as it is legal to do so. I also want to avoid this: "In states with strict gun laws (such as California, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York), it may be a good idea not to stop at all."

I am wondering what is the most effective item that is acceptable in the most number of places. Pump shotgun? Lever-action .44? Spear gun and a wet suit?
    I cannot think of a state where it's legal to have a loaded long gun in a car.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-12-23 at 12:06.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast