Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best firearm for interstate road trips?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I cannot think of a state where it's legal to have a loaded long gun in a car.

Andy
    Tennessee

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thompson contender in 857 Magnum!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Andy
    Upon a little research, it really depends on the state. It is safe to say more states forbid it than permit it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Andy
    It's insane to me to not be able to drive down the road with a loaded AR on the seat. Shit. I have a loaded SBR in my pick up right now!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    You stated you wanted to avoid unloaded and cased. Although there are some few municipalities where they will create a headache, you can generally transport an unloaded cased (locked) firearm through any state.

The practical issues come with securing firearms overnight when traveling. Do you carry a cased long gun to and from your vehicle, have a secure "vault" for storage, or play the odds your vehicle will be safe? Obviously driving an RV and camping is different than driving a car/truck and spending the night in a hotel.

I prefer to carry a pistol legally in my car truck and into hotels. I sincerely wish you luck in your travels.

Andy

PS I am not trying to play devil's advocate regarding the long guns. I often transport at least one rifle between Alabama and South Dakota when I visit family but it sure is a simpler trip with a handgun.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-12-23 at 14:18.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It's all kind of a grey area to me which is why I am seeking advice. Overnighting is certainly on my mind. I think even a tent qualifies as temporary habitation making things a bit easier legally speaking? I'll certainly check. Practically I would not want an obvious gun case in my luggage which seems to imply something compact.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasilnuts View Post
    Tennessee

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It's insane to me to not be able to drive down the road with a loaded AR on the seat. Shit. I have a loaded SBR in my pick up right now!
    It's legal in Georgia.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Alabama's law is the sole reason a pistol brace AR was attractive to me.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I keep an AR in my truck here in Utah. It can be legally carried loaded with valid CFP, but I keep it condition 3 (chamber empty, mag in and safety on).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast