Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side Sling Adapter Question

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Side Sling Adapter Question

Have the M16A1/M16A2 side sling adapter like the one in the image below. On the M16A2 side, it fits perfect on my 0.750 barrel. When I flip it to the M16A1, it does not fit a 0.625 barrel. Tried it on two set ups. Big gap and it can rotate and slide. Was their a shim also part of the kit?

- Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think the slide sling was an evolution of the govt profile era. There wasn't a way to put it on a light weight barrel to my knowledge.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I think the slide sling was an evolution of the govt profile era. There wasn't a way to put it on a light weight barrel to my knowledge.
    These transition pieces are supposed to be usable on m16a1 and M16a2 barrels by reversing the piece the pins go through vs the original M16A1 and M16A2 only style that is only cut on one side of the clamp. You can just make out the markings when you view the above pic at full size. In theory good for both 0.625 and 0.750 barrels.

I've two barrels with 0.625 FSB's and I can't get this to fit either.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    Have the M16A1/M16A2 side sling adapter like the one in the image below. On the M16A2 side, it fits perfect on my 0.750 barrel. When I flip it to the M16A1, it does not fit a 0.625 barrel. Tried it on two set ups. Big gap and it can rotate and slide.
    If it's authentic it's supposed to fit.

After-market -- who knows?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I'm not mistaken, the units with reversible bar are all aftermarket. Even when you put the GI swivel on the gov barrel, there is some play. If you put it on a LW barrel there's more but it's tolerable. I have some on 6520s and 6720s and they meet needs.

I wouldn't expect a shim to to stay in place.

Is this a question of how much play is still an ok fit?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the units with reversible bar are all aftermarket. Even when you put the GI swivel on the gov barrel, there is some play. If you put it on a LW barrel there's more but it's tolerable. I have some on 6520s and 6720s and they meet needs.

I wouldn't expect a shim to to stay in place.

Is this a question of how much play is still an ok fit?
    I'm not getting a lot of good information either which is frustrating.

It looks like the M16A2/M4 version for a 0.750 barrel journal is part # 12991254.

The part # for the adapter assembly with the swivel looks to be #12598617 and the reversible "dog bone" to use on the A1 or A2 barrel appears to be part # 12598618 which is what was stamped on mine.

I one I picked up I was told was NOS USAF inventory / take off parts. The seller is taking it back and getting me one that will work on my 0.625 A1 barrel only.

- Jeff

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    They were M203 sling adapters before the M4 came along. The "dog bone" will fit either barrel diameter, I believe you need p/n 8448379 for the side where the swivel mounts. Not 100% on the part number, there are definitely 2 different ones though. Numrich used to sell them but it's been a while.

TOS EE has a guy selling 10 - .625 side sling adapters. No affiliation, not a member of the site so I cannot even tell you a user name.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-17-23 at 18:14.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    That's the seller I was working with. Didn't want to call anyone out with out getting more info and trying to resolve things first.

We did an exchange and I got the M16A1 stand alone which worked fine. He's traveling for work and will get back to me when he returns and trie s to figure out why the dual a1/a2 adapter didn't work. It looks like the one on the left above. My assumption is that the dog bone is out of spec, but that's just spit balling.
    - Jeff

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wow. A lot of side sling info.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast