Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor Oil as Gun Lube

Feedback Score
    I have seen Mobile One used more on Ak's but suspect it is better than nothing.
    I also thought Vagisil was a good suggestion. Sort of a double meaning and then, if you happened to touch your face before washing your hands, your more familiar with the taste.
    Last edited by Sidewinder6; 12-30-08 at 20:22.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Thanks for the link. I didn't bother using the search function, since I figured nobody would do this...

So much for an original thought.

Feedback Score
    I've used 15w-50 Mobil 1 synthetic and the Mobil 1 gear oil 75w-90. I'd suggest the 15w-50 over the gear oil which has a pretty strong odor. Both should work well and keep the bolt wet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We use to run Mobile 1 10w 30 in our MP5s. It we found it worked the best for that weapon system.

Feedback Score
    with that being said, do you guys just apply this normally as any other lube?

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Fast is good.

Feedback Score
    Yes apply it normally like other lubes. Keep in mind ARs work better wet than dry.

Feedback Score
    Yes. 20w50 Mobile 1. Ounce per ounce very cheap too. 1 Quart should last several years.
    "As a member of the House Intelligence Committee, I am keenly aware that the proliferation of chemical and biological weapons is an issue of grave importance to all nations. Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process." -- Nancy Pelosi, December 16, 1998

Feedback Score
    We used used Hummer oil on all of our crew served weapons in Afghanistan and it worked great. I am sure some of the Teams used it on their M4's as well, but dust stopped being an issue on the crew served when they switched over.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I really didn't think I'd find favourable feedback on this one.

The idea, for me, popped up when I realised I was fresh out of lube, and thought I could substitute motor oil. Then I thought motor oil wouldn't burn off as quick as regular gun butters.

Glad to know it wasn't as crazy as I first thought. With motor oil being cheaper than gun lube, Ole Betsy can stay greasier than possum dumplings.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    whats up with mobil 1? how's that a better gun lube than store-brand 10w30?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast