Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor Oil as Gun Lube

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Motor Oil as Gun Lube

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think this might be a good idea, but I sure as hell am not about to try it, unless some folks can assure me this isn't as crazy as I'm thinking it is.

I don't see why it wouldn't be appropriate, but that's mostly because I don't have the intestinal fortitude to suck it up and give it a go.

Anyone ever try something like this?

Feedback Score
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?...ight=synthetic

Since I have a quart of AMSOIL available thought, I'd use it in the interim. That's all. . .
    Last edited by CLHC; 12-30-08 at 17:40.

Feedback Score
    You'd be surprised at how many folks use Mobil 1 or other synthetic car oils to lube guns with and with excellent results. Marvel Mystery Oil is another good one but it's sold as an oil additive. Basically anything can be used with some common sense tossed in. It's just a matter of personal preference. I'l bet good old STP which I don't even think is sold anymore would have been a great gun lube, thick as hell and you usually had to heat it to get it into the engine. Oops just gave away my age!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLandlord View Post
    I'm sure I'm not the first person to think this might be a good idea, but I sure as hell am not about to try it, unless some folks can assure me this isn't as crazy as I'm thinking it is.

I don't see why it wouldn't be appropriate, but that's mostly because I don't have the intestinal fortitude to suck it up and give it a go.

Anyone ever try something like this?
    What is the worst thing oil could do to a gun?

Motor oil is all I've been using for lube for about a year now....Once you try it, you'll probably never go back.

Feedback Score
    I use TW-25 grease and Mobil-1 oil, 5-30W . That is the oil that my car uses , so I take a little for my guns.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As time goes on, I've been replacing all of my gun cleaning and lubrication chemicals with non-toxic products.

For now, it's Slip2000 EWL and Hoppes Elite (MPro7).

Feedback Score
    been useing Mobil 1 for years ,the only lube that is better is LaRue machinegunners lube ,and it is very pricey. posted this here many times ,if you try it you will be pleased.
    WHO ME ? ---- A government big enough to
    give you everything you want, is
    strong enough to take everything
    you have.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When I was on Active Duty, my buddy swore by 30w motor oil for his M60(yeah, I know I'm dating myself). His AG would also use it on his A2 and never had any problems.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Hey! A lube thread on M4? I can't believe it....

Mobil1 user here. It works great on the bolt. Stays wet longer.

CLP for breaking up the carbon though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have tried a diesel oil/ATF mix with good results. Kind of like a field expedient CLP. Stinks pretty bad though.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast