Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Motor Oil as Gun Lube

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    the conventional i've been using would NOT have held up to 530 rounds- plenty of times i've forgotten to add lube at magazine 7 and run it to 300+ and found a nice caked cruddy receiver. the synthetic definately performs better. no question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceriley View Post
    engine have oil pumps and oil filters since your run them 3000miles before an oil change.

as for the AR. you could just manually add the oil. but even at 500 round count. oil is still there. to viscuous to get blown off. as for the cook off.... that's why we use synthetic as they don't cook off easily.
    I'm not convinced.

The pump isn't there for the filtering, it's there to keep a film of pressurized oil between the bearing surfaces in the engine and to keep circulating the oil so it's never sitting on the hot parts in the engine. This is why engines promptly fail when their oil pumps fail, not because the oil's not being filtered any more.

I'm not convinced that the oil "is still there" in an AR after several 100 rounds, either. Sure, there's oil on the gun and in the gun and even all over the gun, but it's almost certainly been rubbed off/flung off/cooked off the hottest parts and the points subject to the most wear.
    A gun is like a car engine with a dead oil pump and no oil in the crankcase... it may still be "oily," but that doesn't mean it's well lubricated.

This is why people put grease on the M14 — it stays put longer and holds up to extreme heat better.

Anyway, using high quality motor oil as a gun lubricant makes a lot more sense to me than using most "gun oil," which is just basic mineral oil without any anti-friction or anti-corrosion or detergent additives, and it costs way less ounce for ounce.

That's just my 2¢,

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Hmmm... I don't think so. They're both ultimately based on petroleum. They're not making "synthetic" out of nothing. AFAIK, "synthetic" is just better refined, better additives, etc.
    Give us some documentation or a link please. Not saying your wrong but the only evidence I've seen has been from Mobil 1's wed site. You can dig pretty deep into their specs. What ever the formulation I think most will agree that a synthetic oil performs better in engines and weapons. Would love to see an unbiased lab result from different synthetic oils tested for comparisons sake. Mobil 1 performs very well and they seem to have no qualms about sharing many of it's details. If you have more info please share it, for a better educated public

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    Give us some documentation or a link please. Not saying your wrong but the only evidence I've seen has been from Mobil 1's wed site. You can dig pretty deep into their specs. What ever the formulation I think most will agree that a synthetic oil performs better in engines and weapons. Would love to see an unbiased lab result from different synthetic oils tested for comparisons sake. Mobil 1 performs very well and they seem to have no qualms about sharing many of it's details. If you have more info please share it, for a better educated public
    I'm not a chemical engineer, but common sense says that they're ultimately making "synthetic oil" out of petroleum (oil). They're not making it out of water or bees wax butter or synthesizing it out of thin air.

I'm not saying it's not a better product, in fact I believe it is. I'm just saying that "synthetic" is a misnomer.

Bimmer

PS: How about using butter to lube my AR? That would smell great! Do the coyote hunters know about this?

Feedback Score
    well... if we don't resolve this.. somebody is going to have to build an AR with an oil pump, oil filter, and oil sump

oil filters do filter the dirt... that's why it gets heavy after an oil change.

you have the oil cooler to cool the oil.

engines fail when thier oil pumps fail. = oil at very high temp becomes watery... and with 1,200 explosions a minute at idle in a 4 cylinder engine. that's a lot of rounds being fired in 1 minute. I bet your ar can't physically shoot 1,200 rounds in 1 minute. because if it does.... you'll need an oil pump

Feedback Score
    I'm not a chemical engineer, but common sense says that they're ultimately making "synthetic oil" out of petroleum (oil). They're not making it out of water or bees wax butter or synthesizing it out of thin air.

I'm not saying it's not a better product, in fact I believe it is. I'm just saying that "synthetic" is a misnomer.

Bimmer

PS: How about using butter to lube my AR? That would smell great! Do the coyote hunters know about this?
    Until I see some kind of documentation that proves otherwise I'll have to default to the documentation I have seen, synthetic base stocks and additives. I'm always seaching for more enlightment on this subject.

Pat Rodgers has acutally used butter and Vagasil and sunscreen along with many other items. His point was that what kind of lube was not as important as keeping a carbine lubed and relubed as neccesary. Of course some lubes will naturally be better than others.

Feedback Score
    Too much information about synthetic oils and the like. So depending on what poll/research/magazine/article one reads. . .

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/car/synthetic-oil.html

http://www.utextension.utk.edu/publi...es/SP268-Q.pdf

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    Until I see some kind of documentation that proves otherwise I'll have to default to the documentation I have seen, synthetic base stocks and additives. I'm always seaching for more enlightment on this subject.
    I'm looking for more enlightenment, too, that's why I'm here.

What IS a "synthetic base stock?" One of the articles some body attached says "select chemical basestocks and
    additives," but WTF does that mean?

I don't doubt that "synthetic" is better, I just want to know where it comes from, if not from oil.

Bimmer

Feedback Score
    I'm looking for more enlightenment, too, that's why I'm here.

What IS a "synthetic base stock?" One of the articles some body attached says "select chemical basestocks and
    additives," but WTF does that mean?

I don't doubt that "synthetic" is better, I just want to know where it comes from, if not from oil.

Bimmer
    Check the website - Bob is the oil guy (BITOG). Your oil knowledge will expand greatly, and then your head explodes!
    I treat everyone with respect. I stack them in my trunk neatly.

Keeping the "oath" since 1980.

Okay. Now we do it my way.

Feedback Score

Bimmer

Sorry, but you're completely wrong.

Synthetic oils such as Mobil 1 are made from petroleum via chemical reactions, i.e. the petroleum is nothing more than a source of hydrocarbons to be used in a chemical reaction. The result is a product that is 100% chemically identical.

Conventional oils are refined from raw petroleum, which is a process on par with distillation. The end result is a product that is "mostly" the hydrocarbon you want, with some others mixed in that the refinining process couldn't remove. Those impurities are what degrade the performance of "conventional" base stocks, when compared with synthetic base stocks.

Oh yeah, the prohibition of synthetics in aviation use has everything to do with FAA regulations and nothing to do with leaded aviation fuels. Mobil 1 has no compatibility problems with leaded racing fuels, as tens of thousands of club racers can attest to on any given weekend. Lead may be gone from pump fuels, but it is alive and well in racing fuels.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011