Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor Oil as Gun Lube

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    whats up with mobil 1? how's that a better gun lube than store-brand 10w30?
    It's not necessarly Mobile 1, it's synthetic vs. conventional is the reason. Any syn oil will outperform conventional at every level. Mobile 1 happens to be well stocked nearly everywhere and has a good reputation for being a great oil.
    "As a member of the House Intelligence Committee, I am keenly aware that the proliferation of chemical and biological weapons is an issue of grave importance to all nations. Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process." -- Nancy Pelosi, December 16, 1998

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Used Oil on Belt feed MG's back in the early 80's...

so the idea has been around awhile...

Think about it.. a Machine Gun (Or any gun) is like a internal combustion motor that uses ammo for fuel. it has moving metal parts that wear and expand and contract under heat.

Motor oils work just find...

That's why I alway chuckle when there is a 4 page thread on the latest wonder lube.. The best lube out there you can get for yourself.... is free lube...

It's not WHAT you use, its wear and how much you use that is important.

Feedback Score
    I've been using Pennzoil platinum synthetic, particularly for the BCG and have had good results.

Feedback Score
    FWIW I use Mobile 1 or Amsoil 5W - 30 mixed with a small amount of STP or a store brand sub.. The addittive helps the oil stay put on the parts and keeps it from running off. If this oil will protect engines for 15,000 miles I am sure that it will be just fine for hundreds of rounds in a rifle or pistol.

Feedback Score
    Mobil 1 is a synthetic based oil, not a petroleum based oil. A petroleum based oil may leave a varnish when exposed to high heat over time. Mobil 1 is now my fav gun oil, I've been wanting to use TW25B for a grease but can't find it in stock anywhere.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Google synthetic oil benefits.

Feedback Score
    Being the broke bastard that I am, I took a leftover 1/3qt of (new) motor oil from an oil change and started using that for my firearms.

That was almost 6 years ago, I'm still on that same bottle.

Feedback Score
    I've been using Penzoil Platinum Synthetic with good results, especially on the BCG

Feedback Score
    Tech 2000 30W full synthetic....
    Works for me and does a good job,

and reasonably priced.
    “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” Isaiah 5:20

Feedback Score
    Because it's a synthetic and has better lube/protective qualities. Any good synthetic like Pennzoil, Castrol, Amsoil etc will do the trick. I'm not sure how it's better for guns but when I switched to a pure synthetic in my car, mileage improved and it ran smoother .

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast