Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor Oil as Gun Lube

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    whats up with mobil 1? how's that a better gun lube than store-brand 10w30?
    Mobil 1 is synthetic, or mostly synthetic. I keep hearing two different stories about this...

For all of my guns I use 20w50 Amsoil mixed with a little Amsoil ATF.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    whats up with mobil 1? how's that a better gun lube than store-brand 10w30?

Not necessarly Mobile 1 persay rather than synthetic vs. conventional oil. Mobile 1 just happens to be available almost everywhere and is recognized as a proven and very good synthetic oil. Either way, (Castrol, Valvoline, Lucus, Mobile 1, Royal Purple) a syn motor oil will outperform conventional in every way.
    "As a member of the House Intelligence Committee, I am keenly aware that the proliferation of chemical and biological weapons is an issue of grave importance to all nations. Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process." -- Nancy Pelosi, December 16, 1998

Feedback Score
    If Mobil is good enough for Porsche to use in their cars, it's good enough for me to use in my rifle.

Mobil is probably personal preference for some and we probably think a synthetic will not break down as quickly.
    "There are no losers on range #34"
    --Aaron Roberts

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Lucas 20W50 - works fantastically for me

I still haven't gone the step of using brake cleaner, but all I supplement that with is Hoppe's cleaner and a bit of TW25 grease or LT Gunners lube
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Slip EWL is good stuff for class/training. Militec is also good for my handguns and anything lower round counts with rifle. Indeed, any lube below a 1000 rnds in a shooting session should be GTG except for light stuff like remoil or wd40. I think I'll try mobil 1, then a Mobil1 + Militec blend (3/4 +1/4) to see how it goes.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Mobile 1 0-40. Works well is temps from -12 to as hot as I can tolerate. Also works well in wet conditions, like full on rain. It is much cheaper than gun store lube.
    Certified 1911 Armorer

Feedback Score
    Mobile 1 0-40. Works well in temps from -12 to as hot as I can tolerate. Also works well in wet conditions, like full on rain. It is much cheaper than gun store lube.
    Certified 1911 Armorer

Feedback Score
    Its not. Mobile one is kind of placed in the realm of bottom feeders of synthetics. The idea of a synthetic is better shear properties, higher temp required to coke up or burn off, and longer service life.

There are three tru sythetics, and Mobile one is not one of them.

1) Amsoil (Class 4 synthetic)
    2) Royal Purple (Class 5 synthetic)
    3) Joe Gibbs (Class 5 synthetic)

There may be another one or two that I am not aware of, but I think that the three listed above are it.

A class 3 synthetic like mobile1, Quacker State, Valvoline, Pennzoil... by federal law must contain 12% synthetic as a minimum. There were some lawsuites years ago about the oil brands claiming synthetic when they were really class 2 or class 3 base stock oils with 12-18% synthetics added to them... yet they were not being labeled as a blend. The government determined that anything under 12% synthetic was a blend, and anything 12% and over was allowed to be called a full synthetic.

Class 4 and 5 synthetics are derived from different origins. The class 4 typically has some amount of class 5 added to it to enhance lubrication at the shearing point and the extreme pressure point... were a class 5 excells.

A class 5 will typically use a class 4 as an additive for its long term stability... where a class 4 excells.

A class 2 or 3 "synthetic" petroleum base stock oil can use any combination of class 4/5 to reach its manufacturers goals.

If you go to Autozone, they have Royal Purple on the shelf. If your going to use "synthetic"... at least get what your paying for. Mobile1 is a farse.
    I save money using AMSOIL full synthetic lubricants. Do you?
    http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx

Feedback Score
    Its not.

Mobile one is kind of placed in the realm of bottom feeders of true synthetics. The idea of a synthetic is better shear properties, higher temp required to coke up or burn off, and longer service life.

There are three true sythetics, and Mobile one is not one of them.

There may be another one or two that I am not aware of, but I think that the three listed above are it.

A class 3 synthetic like mobile1, Quacker State, Valvoline, Pennzoil... by federal law must contain 12% synthetic as a minimum. There were some lawsuites years ago about the oil brands claiming synthetic when they were really class 2 or class 3 base stock oils with 12-18% synthetics added to them... yet they were not being labeled as a blend. The government determined that anything under 12% synthetic was a blend, and anything 12% and over was allowed to be called a full synthetic.

Class 4 and 5 synthetics are derived from different origins. The class 4 typically has some amount of class 5 added to it to enhance lubrication at the shearing point and the extreme pressure point... were a class 5 excells.

A class 5 will typically use a class 4 as an additive for its long term stability... where a class 4 excells.

A class 2 or 3 "synthetic" petroleum base stock oil can use any combination of class 4/5 to reach its manufacturers goals.

If you go to Autozone, they have Royal Purple on the shelf. If your going to use "synthetic"... at least get what your paying for. Mobile1 is a farse.

Feedback Score
    Its not. Mobile one is kind of placed in the realm of bottom feeders of synthetics. The idea of a synthetic is better shear properties, higher temp required to coke up or burn off, and longer service life.

There are three tru sythetics, and Mobile one is not one of them.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast