Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor Oil as Gun Lube

Feedback Score
    (Attempt 3)

Its not. Mobile one is kind of placed in the realm of bottom feeders of synthetics. The idea of a synthetic is better shear properties, higher temp required to coke up or burn off, and longer service life.

There are three tru sythetics, and Mobile one is not one of them.

1) Amsoil (Class 4 synthetic)
    2) Royal Purple (Class 5 synthetic)
    3) Joe Gibbs (Class 5 synthetic)

There may be another one or two that I am not aware of, but I think that the three listed above are it.

A class 3 synthetic like mobile1, Quacker State, Valvoline, Pennzoil... by federal law must contain 12% synthetic as a minimum. There were some lawsuites years ago about the oil brands claiming synthetic when they were really class 2 or class 3 base stock oils with 12-18% synthetics added to them... yet they were not being labeled as a blend. The government determined that anything under 12% synthetic was a blend, and anything 12% and over was allowed to be called a full synthetic.

Class 4 and 5 synthetics are derived from different origins. The class 4 typically has some amount of class 5 added to it to enhance lubrication at the shearing point and the extreme pressure point... were a class 5 excells.

A class 5 will typically use a class 4 as an additive for its long term stability... where a class 4 excells.

A class 2 or 3 "synthetic" petroleum base stock oil can use any combination of class 4/5 to reach its manufacturers goals.

If you go to Autozone, they have Royal Purple on the shelf. If your going to use "synthetic"... at least get what your paying for. Mobile1 is a farse.
    I save money using AMSOIL full synthetic lubricants. Do you?
    http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx

Feedback Score
    It is synthetc and breaks down at a much higher temp.

Mobil one user checking in.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    whats up with mobil 1? how's that a better gun lube than store-brand 10w30?
    No idea, I've been using Castrol (first store I went to didn't have 20w mobile 1)

Feedback Score
    Engine oil is great. The consistent viscosity is why the only time my CLP uses it's "L" feature is on my hair clippers. CLP is an okay cleaner, but oil beats it at everything else IMO.
    The luxury of freedom was not free.

Feedback Score
    Interesting info, I've never thought of a 'motor oil' as gun lube. I may have to try some, maybe start with a thin/low temp viscosity.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    There were some lawsuites years ago about the oil brands claiming synthetic when they were really class 2 or class 3 base stock oils with 12-18% synthetics added to them... yet they were not being labeled as a blend.
    Castrol Syntec started doing that, and Mobile sued.

Feedback Score
    I use valvoline synthetic oil 15-40w. Works great in my pistol and AR

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    very cool info here, never thought of motor oil but it makes perfect sense.
    ===========================================================
    Alcohol, Tobacco And Firearms Should Be A Convenience Store, NOT A Gov't Agency.

Feedback Score
    Royal purple makes a gun oil to:

http://www.royalpurple.com/gun-oil.html

Is it the same stuff as the motor oil is? Who knows. I'll bet it costs more, though.

Feedback Score
    How are you guys applying this? I've been thinking of getting a small paintbrush and painting it on. I may also refill some little Outers squeeze bottles.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast