Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor Oil as Gun Lube

Feedback Score

re...Motor Oil as Gun Lube

Amongst other things, I was a 19D instructor for many years in the Army. We would always keep a few bottle of engine oil around in case we ran out of gun lube. I have used it several times on M2 .50 Cal's. It always worked wonderful.

However, it did make a bigger mess to have to clean-up as well as the weapon smoked a little more.

Feedback Score
    Mobil 1 being a synthetic is not as gooey (thick) as standard motor oil of the same viscosity. That is why all racers use synthetic oils, less drag with better lubricating properties. It also is my preferred case lube for reloading ammo. That way you have gun lube and case lube all in one, and a quart lasts damn near forever.

Feedback Score
    I usually use a squeeze bottle but ive also tried nail polish bottle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    (Attempt 3)

Its not. Mobile one is kind of placed in the realm of bottom feeders of synthetics. The idea of a synthetic is better shear properties, higher temp required to coke up or burn off, and longer service life.

There are three tru sythetics, and Mobile one is not one of them.

1) Amsoil (Class 4 synthetic)
    2) Royal Purple (Class 5 synthetic)
    3) Joe Gibbs (Class 5 synthetic)

There may be another one or two that I am not aware of, but I think that the three listed above are it.

A class 3 synthetic like mobile1, Quacker State, Valvoline, Pennzoil... by federal law must contain 12% synthetic as a minimum. There were some lawsuites years ago about the oil brands claiming synthetic when they were really class 2 or class 3 base stock oils with 12-18% synthetics added to them... yet they were not being labeled as a blend. The government determined that anything under 12% synthetic was a blend, and anything 12% and over was allowed to be called a full synthetic.

Class 4 and 5 synthetics are derived from different origins. The class 4 typically has some amount of class 5 added to it to enhance lubrication at the shearing point and the extreme pressure point... were a class 5 excells.

A class 5 will typically use a class 4 as an additive for its long term stability... where a class 4 excells.

A class 2 or 3 "synthetic" petroleum base stock oil can use any combination of class 4/5 to reach its manufacturers goals.

If you go to Autozone, they have Royal Purple on the shelf. If your going to use "synthetic"... at least get what your paying for. Mobile1 is a farse.

I would like to see some documentation to support this. I've got a lot of info around here somewhere one Mobil 1. It does not claim to use any petroleum base stocks, if I remember it claims 'synthetic base stocks and additives'. I'm no lube expert but I do prefer documentation to support any claims. I've got Mobil 1 documentation but nothing else.

Feedback Score
    One of the large syringes with a veterinary type needle works better than anything I've used.

Also, the argument about Royal Purple and Joe Gibbs synthetics is somewhat true. I was a long time drag racer and used synthetics forever in 10,0000 rpm small blocks. Almost all the pros use Joe Gibbs oil, which is actually made by an older company that supplied oil to racers for years, but time has erased the name from my mind.

That said, try Mobil 1 it is a lot easier to find on your rifle and for resizing cases.

Feedback Score

Chainsaw bar oil

OK......since this is being kicked around. After reading the Ruger 10/22 book by Mark White I have started using chainsaw bar oil. I happened to have a quart of Mobile 1 synthetic chainsaw bar oil and gave it a try. It works great on the 10/22. It seems to cling better to the suface of the bolt and guiderod. Compared to motor oil it stays where you put it better and feels more slippery. Anyone tried it on an AR?

Feedback Score
    I use Mobil 1 5W-20 and it works great. Pretty cheap too.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    ok, i bought into it.. i picked up a quart of mobil1 0w-30 or 20 or something. i know nothing about oil, but after reading the back of the bottle it seemed to me the one most likely to "splash" around inside the receiver, which i want.

i'll go blow a few hundred rounds tomorrow morning and see how it does compared to the 10w30 conventional i've been using

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    It's surprising how intuitive this should be, and yet, how much of a surprise it comes as to so many shooters. The M1/M1A crowd has long touted the benefits of high-temperature wheel bearing grease, so the concept wasn't a foreign one to me; that said, we have so many manufacturers offering such a wide variety of purpose-built arms lubricants (in ever-smaller bottles commanding ever-larger prices) that it seems almost unthinkable to consider that a simple synthetic motor oil could do very much the same thing -- at a fraction of a fraction of the price, by volume. That would have eventually occurred to most of us as a field expedient, but in reality, it's not that much of a second-rate solution, after all.

Live and learn, I guess. I've had good results in the past with turbine engine synthetics (we have to discard whatever doesn't go into the aircraft once a can is opened), but I think the overriding point here is the same as it always was: use whatever you like (uh, within some semblance of reason), but use something.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    (Attempt 3)

Its not. Mobile one is kind of placed in the realm of bottom feeders of synthetics. The idea of a synthetic is better shear properties, higher temp required to coke up or burn off, and longer service life.

There are three tru sythetics, and Mobile one is not one of them.

1) Amsoil (Class 4 synthetic)
    2) Royal Purple (Class 5 synthetic)
    3) Joe Gibbs (Class 5 synthetic)

There may be another one or two that I am not aware of, but I think that the three listed above are it.

A class 3 synthetic like mobile1, Quacker State, Valvoline, Pennzoil... by federal law must contain 12% synthetic as a minimum. There were some lawsuites years ago about the oil brands claiming synthetic when they were really class 2 or class 3 base stock oils with 12-18% synthetics added to them... yet they were not being labeled as a blend. The government determined that anything under 12% synthetic was a blend, and anything 12% and over was allowed to be called a full synthetic.

Class 4 and 5 synthetics are derived from different origins. The class 4 typically has some amount of class 5 added to it to enhance lubrication at the shearing point and the extreme pressure point... were a class 5 excells.

A class 5 will typically use a class 4 as an additive for its long term stability... where a class 4 excells.

A class 2 or 3 "synthetic" petroleum base stock oil can use any combination of class 4/5 to reach its manufacturers goals.

If you go to Autozone, they have Royal Purple on the shelf. If your going to use "synthetic"... at least get what your paying for. Mobile1 is a farse.
    Well, I work in the engine oil industry and I think this post is the single biggest collection of engine-oil-related BS that I've ever read on the internet, which is saying something.

In fact, I can't find a single thing in it that is actually factual information. Not one.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast