Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Braceless AR Pistol

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Braces were the easy button. No permission, no bureaucratic process, no wait, no engraving, no class 3 BS if you want to sell, no permission to travel, etc.

Hell, I'd pay $200 for a brace just to be able to skip all that BS.

But here we are...

Back to the intent of the OP, a 10.5/11.5 braceless pistol is still quite capable. But for some reason there's not much interest.
    They are, other than what has been stated, I think some of it is that some folks simply do not know how to run them. Once you show them how to use the sling, it's like a light bulb went off. While effective under certain circumstances, I always preferred the A2 stock over the sling method or the collapsing stock in my MP5 days.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Here's some interesting data from Greg Ellifritz

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...DUhfcoOB3VLpVg
    Anyone notice there is hardly any difference in penetration between a 7.5 and 10.5?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Anyone notice there is hardly any difference in penetration between a 7.5 and 10.5?
    As has been discussed in other threads, the advantage of rifles over pistols is how they differ in type of wounding mechanism. Once you remove enough velocity from a rifle cartridge by shortening the barrel past a certain point, you lose the advantage of hydrostatic shock and are relegated to pistol wounding mechanisms. May as well use a pistol caliber PDW.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    And then again there are those State laws that allow "loaded pistols" in vehicles but not loaded rifles. That can also be added to the discussion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    As has been discussed in other threads, the advantage of rifles over pistols is how they differ in type of wounding mechanism. Once you remove enough velocity from a rifle cartridge by shortening the barrel past a certain point, you lose the advantage of hydrostatic shock and are relegated to pistol wounding mechanisms. May as well use a pistol caliber PDW.

Did you see the charts?

There was hardly any difference between the 7.5 and the 10.5

Mk18”s have been pretty effective in the mil
    Last edited by prepare; 06-20-23 at 14:45.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You are talking expansion and penetration, which are wounding mechanisms used to measure estimated efficacy in pistol calibers. Rifles calibers fired above certain velocity are more effective than pistols, not because of expansion and penetration. I hope that makes sense.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Two guys from Federal Anoka discuss bullet velocity and the elasticity of the human body. They suggest 2,200 fps is the threshold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6kUvi72s0Y&t=517s

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdacbob View Post
    And then again there are those State laws that allow "loaded pistols" in vehicles but not loaded rifles. That can also be added to the discussion.
    This. In Alabama a concealed carry permit is valid for carrying a pistol in a vehicle or concealed. A rifle (SBR) cannot be carried loaded in a motor vehicle or concealed. I have no interest in a short barreled AR that I cannot carry loaded in a vehicle.

My 9mm AR pistol was great as a range toy, but will soon be wear a 16" barrel. My braced 11" 5.56 pistol is legal for now and will morph into something else if the NFA wins the lawsuits.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-20-23 at 16:30.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Two guys from Federal Anoka discuss bullet velocity and the elasticity of the human body. They suggest 2,200 fps is the threshold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6kUvi72s0Y&t=517s
    Yeah, this is an excellent video that explains what's happening without BS or speculation.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    This. In Alabama a concealed carry permit is valid for carrying a pistol in a vehicle or concealed. A rifle (SBR) cannot be carried loaded in a motor vehicle or concealed. I have no interest in a short barreled AR that I cannot carry loaded in a vehicle.

My 9mm AR pistol was great as a range toy, but will soon be wear a 16" barrel. My braced 11" 5.56 pistol is legal for now and will morph into something else if the NFA wins the lawsuits.

Andy
    A rifle (SBR) cannot be carried loaded in a motor vehicle or concealed in Alabama?! Wow, I thought that was a very gun friendly state.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast