Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purpose of Super Short AR PCC Barrels?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Purpose of Super Short AR PCC Barrels?

I see AR9 barrels as short as 3" being sold, and they have reviews, so someone is buying them. Are folks just building very compact suppressed guns, or does the short barrel assist in keeping velocities sub-sonic?

Andy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Anything shoulder fired Sub gun cal or rifle should have 9" or 10.3" minimum lengths respectively. I don't know what retard would buy a barrel that's a short as a compact carry pistol for any reason. You can't help that level of stupidity.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I expect most barrels that short are for suppressed SD type builds.

The full size MP5 has a barrel under 9”…

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    or does the short barrel assist in keeping velocities sub-sonic?
    Consulting Ballistics by the Inch it would appear useful in that regard.
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    With 147gr subsonic ammo, the shorter barrels are all that's required to get the subsonic velocity.

Longer ~8.5" barrels do add meaningful velocity to 115gr and 124gr supersonic ammo, as well as providing enough space for a 7" (carbine) hand guard.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I would never go as short as 3", but my .357 sig gun has a 5" barrel and will hit 2250 fps. My B&T TP9 has a 5 inch barrel if I remember correctly, and my CMMG 9mm has a 8 inch barrel.

I view the PCC as a niche weapon that is compact enough to go covert but still gives you better accuracy than your pistol and faster hits.

If the barrel is 10 inches then I would go for a 5.56 rifle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My 9mm AR has a 6” barrel, which runs my Dead Air Odessa within the 8” forend. I only bought the gun for running suppressed. It’s overall length with the full set of baffles puts it close to what a 16” AR would be at… but it is pretty damn quiet. I do have a PTR 9CT SBR, as mentioned having an 8.9” barrel… but haven’t shot it suppressed yet.

I picked 6” mainly because the gun uses the same Glock magazines as my duty gun; 19 Gen 5 MOS. Extra 2” should give it more velocity, but didn’t give me a suppressed size that is too unwieldy. I have no desire for a 3” AR, even in 9mm, due to performance. Barrel is shorted than a Glock 26, and just has the stock/sights as a positive over the 26. In the end, rather have better velocity of the 6” AR or being able to conceal the subcompact Glock.

Only other shoulder firearm under 10” barrel is my M&P15-22… originally the braced pistol/now SBR. It has an 8” barrel, which is enough to get CCI .22 to break the sound barrier. But my pistols with 2” barrels do not. I just have to run subsonic in that when I have a can on it. I’d be more likely to run a 3” .22 barrel than I would on a larger pistol caliber.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Anything shoulder fired Sub gun cal or rifle should have 9" or 10.3" minimum lengths respectively. I don't know what retard would buy a barrel that's a short as a compact carry pistol for any reason. You can't help that level of stupidity.
    Well, sign me up for a window seat on the short bus I guess.

I have a 4" 9mm AR PCC/SBR. It keeps standard 147g subsonic, some lighter rounds as well.. The can is buried in the rail. My goal was a stocked, suppressed "Glock 19" carbine with a light and a red dot. The intended mission is interior home defense and being able to hear the cops well enough to know when to ask for a lawyer afterwards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    No reason for long barrels with pistol rounds generally.
    I can conceal my silenced m11/9 with 5 inch barrel and collapsable stock a lot easier than anything with a 10" barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    No reason for long barrels with pistol rounds generally.
    Exactly. The primary purpose of a PCC is to have a weapon that is less bulky and easier to maneuver. Long barrels work against that goal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast