Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate M4A1 type build (Warning not a clone.)

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Ultimate M4A1 type build (Warning not a clone.)

This is a build I’ve circled back around to about three times now. The idea was to build the best M4 pattern carbine I could, sparing no expense. I started with a new Colt cage code upper, and a Colt SOCOM barrel. The handguard is the now discontinued KAC carbine length FF RAS. It’s my go to 7” full float handguard. I have no doubts about its’ construction or durability. I had John Thomas pin and weld a Surefire 4 prong flash hider to it so I could mount my RC2 suppressor. The bolt carrier is an LMT full auto enhanced, and the bolt is genuine Colt. Charging handle is a PRI Gas Buster. The lower is a custom unit from MOA Customs, finished with a genuine Colt LPK. The rest of the lower parts are a Geissele SSP trigger, CQD end plate, Colt 4 position receiver extension, Colt carbine recoil spring and H2 buffer. For extra cool points, I installed a KAC trigger guard and KAC backup rear sight. Lastly, I outfit the carbine with a Vortex 3-18 Strike Eagle in a Sphur QD mount (leftover from an abandoned 6.5 Creedmoor project), an Atlas bipod, and Surefire M600V weapon light.

The scope is overkill for this carbine, but it’s nice to have the available magnification. So far I’ve run about 500 rounds through it without any hiccups. I haven’t shot it past 300 yards, but I’m finding it really easy to make solid hits at that distance. Overall I’m very satisfied with how this turned out. Like I said at the beginning, I’ve built this exact carbine at least 3 or 4 times before. My gun ADHD, and financial issues a year back prompted me to sell off the previous builds. Now that KAC has abandoned their retro handguards I plan to keep this one. If anything, I’ll eventually mount a LPVO of some kind to it, and move the Strike Eagle to my next 6.5 gun. Till then this will be a fun range toy, and my go to bump in the night gun.

Last edited by Hammer_Man; 06-19-23 at 21:05.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Your "bump in the night gun" has a 3-18 and no offset sights? Will you store it with the scope unmounted?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Your "bump in the night gun" has a 3-18 and no offset sights? Will you store it with the scope unmounted?
    Yup. It’s a QD mount, and it seems to hold zero just fine.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    In a way, it's a better clone than my "M4" built on a LMT carbine. Not gonna lie, I am just happy to see a custom build in the Custom Build section

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I like it. We put an Atlas on my SOCOM with QRF rail and our buddy was disturbed because that's not a standard military configuration, MOD H whatever clone nonsense. WTF? It works great!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    In a way, it's a better clone than my "M4" built on a LMT carbine. Not gonna lie, I am just happy to see a custom build in the Custom Build section
    LMT is part of the holy trinity of manufacturers: Colt, KAC, and LMT. No kidding about the build threads as of late. I’m just doing my part to put this section back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I like it. We put an Atlas on my SOCOM with QRF rail and our buddy was disturbed because that's not a standard military configuration, MOD H whatever clone nonsense. WTF? It works great!
    I like it a lot. I could have used a Harris, but I’d be pretty close to the cost of the Atlas by the time I set it up with the Badger picatinny mount, and Pod Loc that I like. The SOCOM barrel is one of my favorites, I haven’t had a bad one yet.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Not quite my tempo.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We do prefer the 20 rd USGI mags on these (or any) bi pod AR set up. 30s get too cumbersome.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We do prefer the 20 rd USGI mags on these (or any) bi pod AR set up. 30s get too cumbersome.
    I have 20 rounders, they weren’t in my range bag that day. The bipod extended far enough that it didn’t matter, even with the Ranger plates on the bottom.

Feedback Score
    Super cool build!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast