Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Groups at 200 yards with 55 gr ammo

Feedback Score

Groups at 200 yards with 55 gr ammo

I went shooting today to finally test out the LaRue trigger I installed probably a year ago and it felt great compared to the standard trigger it replaced, but I was disappointed with my lack of consistent groups at 200 yards. I am just trying to figure out what a realistic group would be using 55 gr Federal ammo to see how much of the problem is just me. I was shooting a 16" rifle with a Vortex 1-8 Strike Eagle LPVO using full magnification. My target was 12" in diameter with an inner 6" ring and a 3" bullseye. I had hoped to land 50% of my shots in the 6" ring, but probably only got 50% in the 12" target. I began dialing things in at 100 yards and was landing the majority of my shots in a 6-8" ring and then moved to 200 yards and continually had to make adjustments and just could not get consistent hits. The scope, mount, etc. all seem solid so I do not think they are the problem so that leaves me and the ammo. Any thoughts? What are your groups like at 200 yards with 55 gr ammo? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    What rifle/carbine?
    Shooting position? Prone/bagged, benched?
    Federal ammo FMJ, JHP, ??

I expect 5” to 6” groups at 200 yds, benched or stable prone using IMI m193 or similar.
    If I’m wanting better groups I’m not shooting m193/55 gr FMJ, but 69 or 77 gr OTM.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm between 1-2" at 100 yards with 55FMJ. That bullet isn't all that great for accuracy so I have never tried it on paper at 200.

If you want accuracy, try a match or varmint bullet.

Another thing to consider is wind and mirage. 2 MPH of full value wind will move your bullet 1", and you can barely see that in the grass or trees.

Feedback Score
    6-8" at 100yds is most likely you. Focus on consistency of your trigger pull, followthrough, and how youre sitting behind the gun.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Most quality rifles are capable of grouping roughly half that with mediocre 55gr ball. I have no good way of assessing your fundamentals from here, but if you do better with other rifles or other ammo, that could be a clue. You mentioned making a lot of adjustments at 200 yards…what do you mean by that, exactly?

I’d suggest that you rule out the ammo as the problem, just in case. Like, buy a box each of two different bullet weights of OTM loaded ammo, and see how that goes. Then, you can try to determine if its the rifle, the optic, or you.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    55gr FMJ isn't enough info. The bullet quality can vary greatly. Crappy 55s might be 8" at 200. But better quality like Hornady's FMJ should get you around 4" if you have a magnified optic and no wind. I used to strive for under 4" with irons at 100 yards for FMJ bullets. i.e., a clean head shot with no magnification.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    55gr FMJ isn't enough info. The bullet quality can vary greatly. Crappy 55s might be 8" at 200. But better quality like Hornady's FMJ should get you around 4" if you have a magnified optic and no wind. I used to strive for under 4" with irons at 100 yards for FMJ bullets. i.e., a clean head shot with no magnification.
    Yup. Using generic ammo for precision testing is pointless. It isn't worthless, because you are still training and using your fundamentals, but if you are trying to dial in new equipment it is going to be very limiting.

Since I'm cheap, I'll use any generic bullet to get on paper and semi close to zero'd in to my target when setting up new items (new scope, mount, sights, or whatever). Once I'm pretty close, I'll switch over to higher quality ammo.

I shoot steel ammo at times (don't think less of me), and when it comes to distance work, I'm often just happy to hit the target most of the time. I do NOT expect a 400 meter target to have decent groups when shooting reduced IPSC sized steel. Not with junk stuff.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    A wonder trigger won't suddenly turn a bad combination into a sub moa performer. What was the gun doing with this ammo before?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    What was the gun doing with this ammo before?

Great question.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I shoot steel ammo at times (don't think less of me),
    I love having some steel cased for areas where I can't recover my brass.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast