Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Omega 9K 1st can. Meh.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've never found any of my suppressors on any of my hosts to be quiet per se except 22. subsonic. The noise & blast reduction makes the experience significantly more pleasant and enjoyable. Indoors on the rare occasion I want to get inside with poor weather outside, suppressors are a godsend, especially on any long gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Ambient noise drastically influences the way that we perceive, or don’t perceive, noise.

The way that you perceive .22lr subsonic unsuppressed to be similar to 9mm subs, suppressed, is about on par. Even with a very good silencer on a semiautomatic host, action noise is very loud.

Drop the bolt empty on your host a few times late at night in your quiet house while your wife is sleeping with an open door in the next room, and you’ll see what I mean. HK slap. Better yet, don’t actually do that, just think about it, because I don’t want your wife to murder you for waking her up several times.

Point is, you may need to manage your expectations. Your Omega 9k is widely said to be a very good can, especially for its length. You should definitely get a longer can, just because, and it will be fun to compare them.
    All this.

Running the can wet will help the 1st shot or 2 as well. Rem oil or wire pulling gel (one that evaporates clean) are good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    All this.

Running the can wet will help the 1st shot or 2 as well. Rem oil or wire pulling gel (one that evaporates clean) are good.
    Wet, eh? I forgot about that.

I think I read water can work, but of course can lead to corrosion an doesn't stay in the can as long as oil. Right?

How about a spritz of olive / vegetable oil? Seriously.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    All this.

Yessir, even a few drops of whatever brand CLP, a bead of grease, a smear of Vaseline, or 3cc of water can improve performance noticeably.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

I think I read water can work, but of course can lead to corrosion an doesn't stay in the can as long as oil. Right?

I’ll check tomorrow. I bet it’ll work. As to water, I’ve submerged these things and drained them, and also swished them in rainwater, and its been fine. Lube the bolt afterward, because the steam does come back.

Some oils and hydrocarbons leave more filth than others.
    Last edited by 1168; 07-22-23 at 13:23.

Feedback Score

Dont use veg oil. It will leave a residue and go rancid, and make a whole mess... it gets nasty.

Water is nice because it doesnt smoke (the steam dissipates much faster), and is quite effective.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-24-23 at 09:17.

Feedback Score
    Dont use veg oil. It will leave a residue and go rancid, and make a whole mess... it gets nasty.

Water is nice because it doesnt smoke (the steam dissipates much faster), and is quite effective.
    Right, good point. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I suppose with a short / "K" can one is getting roughly 80% (WAG) of the suppression a full-size can offers and that's why they are popular.

Less weight and length but not far away from the performance of a full length.

I've now got a .22lr, 5.56 and 7.62 cal. cans paid for and in process.

"When should I order the suppressors I want?'

Answer: "12 months ago."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

I've now got a .22lr, 5.56 and 7.62 cal. cans paid for and in process.

"When should I order the suppressors I want?'

Answer: "12 months ago."
    Now you’ve got the idea. A proper pistol can is next.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Now you’ve got the idea. A proper pistol can is next.
    I dunno yet. I found a can meant for .32 acp I could shoot .32 and also .25 acp through if I get Beretta barrel threaded.

And while I'm selling off some .45 acp pistols I've got a Beretta96A1 .40 I'm going to put an RDS on. Perhaps someone makes a threaded barrel for that?

Really though, I think I'm going to get the most enjoyment from cans on rifle calibers and the .22-.32's.

Edited to add:
    .40 through a .45 can would be louder than 9mm through a 9mm can. .25 acp through a .32 can louder than .22 through a .22 can. So I think I can drop those ideas.

If I do the .25, I need a .22 can bored and marked to be a .25 can. .25 uses fast powders. Could suppress better than .22lr. I dunno. Want to try.
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-11-23 at 15:42.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast